Dantooine

They landed on the outskirts of a small farm while Sola slept, BB-8 was the one to wake her as he rolled against the hammock with a flurry of loud beeps that shook her awake. "We're here?" He beeped again looking up at her waiting, "Already?!" Sola pulled on her boots again from beside her bed, adjusting her hair and throwing on Poe's oversized jacket. It still smelled of him, silently she hoped it would never lose the strong scent.

"You ready?" Poe was at the door a moment later, a small bag on his back while he watched her hastily gather together a bag of her own with equipment she would need. She looked like a mouse scurrying around the small room like that, he had to bite back a chuckle under his breath he hoped she didn't pick up on.

"R-Ready!" She was tempted to bring a spare top just in case, but that might've been overkill. They would need to be back on the ship by nightfall anyway, today they were simply locating and scouting out the outpost, they didn't plan on entering until they knew every escape route. At least that's what BB-8 had told her while she was putting together her things.

"The inhabitants here are mostly made up of large families, they shouldn't bother us as long as we don't disturb them" Poe walked down the ramp ahead of her as he checked his blaster, when he didn't feel Sola follow behind him, he turned on his heel to look back up the ship.

"What's wrong?" She looked...scared, almost, like the grass of the bottom of the ship had spooked her, yet he couldn't figure out why. They hadn't encountered any patrols yet, nor any other ships for that matter.

"I...I've never been-" On Dantooine, on a planet with no one else there to help them, on a mission this important with this much responsibility. They were alone out here, even if they managed to call for backup it would take hours to arrive. Sola had never been tasked with something like this, it terrified her and now that it was real. Now that she was about to set foot onto this strange new planet, reality hit her like a fleet of star fighters.

"There's nothing to be scared of" His confused frown turned into one of worry, taking large steps back up the ramp he took her trembling hand in his own and nudged her back down slowly alongside him "We're just gonna check out the base from afar, make sure there's no First Order troops around and then we're coming right back, alright?" His thumb graced the back of her hand as he spoke, stopping once his feet reached the long savanna grass at the edge of the ship's boarding ramp to peer back at her.

Sola hesitated at the bottom beside him, taking another breath to absorb his reassuring words before letting her boots connect with the pale grass alongside him. He was right, they weren't here to fight, simply to check out the base and ensure it was safe. Even if she carried the means to kill, it was only intent to be used in defence. She wouldn't become a murderer.

"Sorry..." She felt embarrassed to be so scared of something like this, why the hell stepping onto a new planet filled her body with dread so suddenly.

"I understand, I was nervous on my first assignment too, even with my years of experience with the Republic fleet".

"Y-You were with the Republic?".

Poe laughed, surprised she hadn't heard his whole life story from how much people liked to talk about him back on D'Qar, "Yeah, I left for the Resistance once I saw that they weren't doing enough. They just kept pretending the First Order wasn't a big threat even with all the signs, I think they were scared to face reality and wanted to hide away in their fantasy of what the Republic once was instead" they'd put his mothers memory to shame, it boiled his blood to think about it. Not that it mattered now, the Republic had almost been completely wiped out because of Starkiller, there wasn't much he could do about that now. The Resistance was the only hope left for the Galaxy, and he was determined to keep it alive.