Live For Me

(I thought I'd have a little short flashback chapter from Poe's Point of View just to keep things fresh. I tried my best in getting his character right, and how he might've felt, so I hope I did him justice).

{ Two Days Earlier }

"Poe-"

Anger boiled his blood.

"Where is she, is she aboard!?" Poe barged harshly past Wedge and Nora when they came down the ramp to greet him. Completely ignoring the understanding looks on the older couples faces as he began his frantic march up the incline to find Sola. They had com'd him upon landing about her deteriorating condition, Finn having told him about her injury while the pilot grew furious and worried all at once.

There was no way he was losing somebody else. Not this time, not her.

He'd barely made it half way up when Snap and Finn appeared in his line of sight. Sola hung from their arms as they attempted to shuffle her around into a better position. She looked pale, the only colour on her face was the fake cosmetic blush on her cheeks and a single streak of blood on one side like someone had tapped her face with bloody hands.

"Let me carry her" He said loudly, glaring at both men as they heaved her higher until Poe could wrap one arm around her back and one under her knees into his arms.

"I don't know if that's..." Snap was attempting to be helpful, Poe was certain of that. His team member and friend of many years had always been a good and honest man, but in his state of panic over the woman's life in his arms right now, it overruled anything his friend was saying and made him shake his head as the Commander stormed his way off of the ship.

"Finn keep an eye out, the safe house isn't far" He said over his shoulder, prompting the staring man to hurry to follow into step beside him with a nod.

"She made me promise not to say anything Poe I-"

"You knew?!" Poe stopped for a second to glare at his friend, frustration bubbling up inside him before he remembered the time constraint they were under and began walking again at a quicker pace, "I can't believe you knew Finn!".

"I know, I'm sorry! She told me it wasn't that bad, I was ready to tell you as soon as she looked any worse".

"Any worse than this!?" He nodded down at the unconscious girl in his arms, she felt so light in his hold he wondered if she might float away if he let up the strong grip he had on her body. Her leg looked a mess as it dangled and bumped against side, red and bare where it poked out from beneath her torn dress. The dress had looked lovely, stunning on her actually, before it was ruined by the events of the day. Poe wished he could've admired her, kissed her in it even.

He shook that fantasy from his head and barged forward through the dry terrain and out into the town close by, ignoring the strange lookes from people that passed them on their way.

"She didn't want to worry you" Finn was looking down at her too as they walked side by side, sparing occasional looks around them to ensure no one was following or paying too close attention.

"Yeah well, I'm definitely worried now" Poe adjusted his hold when he felt her slip an inch, wishing he had an extra pair of hands so that he would usher the hair away from her face and swipe away that awful smear of blood from her cheek that didn't suit her complexion, it unnerved him every time his eyes landed on it.

His nostrils flared in anger, he felt he urge to punch something, punch Finn for having remained silent about something so important, punch a wall to relieve the itch, punch himself for having been unable to catch the injury on Sola. How in stars name she had been able to hide it from him was beyond him right now, but he regretted not checking her over properly the second she'd enveloped him in that hug when he'd crawled out of the pond. That was a mistake he would have to live with now, one he would have to carry on his shoulders, like the fleeting life he was cradling in his arms at that very moment.

"Up ahead" Poe spotted inconspicuous building, clearly meant as a cover as they neared. The coordinates beeping on the device on his wrist to indicate the proximity to their destination.

Finn nodded at his side, sliding open the doors and ushering him inside before shutting them behind them. "Doesn't look like a secret hideout" he commented looking around the room filled with wooden crates and dust.

"Don't think it's meant to" Poe muttered, spotting someone sitting in the corner of the room, he nodded at the pair to come closer before pushing aside a large crate to reveal a secret door that lead them below ground. "I need a doctor, anyone who can treat wounds" the pilot instructed the man on the way down, following his lead until they reached a large open space "As quick as possible" Poe added impatiently, looking around for anything that looked remotely like a medical facility.

"This way, it isn't much, but it'll have to do. A few others from the Resistance arrived just before you did" Others appeared, two men and a woman who turned out to be Lizzy upon closer inspection, trying to take Sola from his arms, Poe took a step back and turned away with a shake of his head. There was no way he was putting her life into someone else's hands, never.

"Tell me where to go, I'm carrying her" He growled, surprised at how dangerous he sounded to the people trying to help, before following them at a jog to wherever they would supply Sola with the help she so desperately needed.

"Poe we should go, there's nothing else we can do now, we still need to get the rest of the prisoners and Resistance members here" Finn placed a hand on Poe's shoulder as the pilot sat at Sola's bedside silently. Hands on his knees, staring down at her unconscious form. They'd done their best sowing and patching her up, supplying her with supplements and antibiotics for the infection that had caused her fever.

Finn was right of course, yet Poe was reluctant to leave her side still. He feared that if he left she would wake up alone, afraid and in pain. Or, even worse still, not at all. Both options required his attention, for a first or a last time.

His hands tightened into fists, wishing he could do more for her. Wishing he'd payed more attention, told her how beautiful she'd looked in that dress, or in any clothes. He'd admired her plenty in her overalls and casual clothing too. Sola fit into whatever fabric she could get her hands on, and Poe wished he could've made her feel like a goddess in every one of them.

Told her of his love for her, one that had crept up on him so slowly he hadn't even noticed it was there until he had landed back on Ryloth and twirled her in his arms like they were the only ones in the hanger that night. Or maybe it had been before that, he couldn't be sure. Poe didn't think he'd seen a more breathtaking smile and heard a more joyous laugh erupt from her lungs, feared he might never hear it again.

The pilot smiled at the memory before standing, he leaned over her and pressed a kiss to her forehead Finn didn't address when he turned back to his friend right after "You're right, let's get them here safe"

"She's strong, she'll make it" Finn assured with a nod back at the Commander, taking in Sola on the small bed for a second,"if not for herself, then for you".

'Sola did like to live for others', Poe thought to himself silently.