Crash Course

As soon as Sola practically fell into the co-pilots seat her head whirred a million miles an hour, eyes flying over the blinking buttons and back to Poe who was intensely focused on keeping the ship on course.

"Poe, I've never flown a ship before!" The mechanic said, panic bubbling in her throat when her eyes caught the distant silhouettes of TIE fighters racing towards them.

"Don't worry, I'll talk you through it" He pilot replied easily, though it didn't do much to quench her worries one bit. The speeders she was experienced with had a lot less toggles and buttons than this cockpit, and none of them possessed the delicacy of a hyperdrive either.

"You remember the skim-speeders on Crait?" Poe asked, glancing over at her.

"Yeah?" She failed to see the similarities with this situation beyond the First Order attacking them but remained vigilant, if a little hesitant.

"Same principal. You're gonna follow my instructions, when I point out a button you press it, when I tell you to push a lever you push it, got it?" Even as Commander Dameron talked her through the upcoming task, Sola needed to steady, ground herself to be able to stop her hands from shaking.

"Okay, let's see what that title of 'best pilot in the galaxy' is really worth" The humour even in such a dim situation wasn't missed and Poe shot her a cocky grin and smirk that made her breathe out a chuckle.

They were in this together, and they would come out of this together, dead or a alive. At least the mechanic had the comfort of knowing she would die with her friends.

"Liz, you see the TIE's, dead ahead?" Poe spoke into the com on the ships panel to his right, a small huff from Lizzy was heard, most likely readjusting the weapons aim.

"Never call me that again, only Sola gets to call me that, and yeah I see them" The medic replied.

Poe only rolled his eyes as he stared out ahead at the fleet of TIE's closing in on them. Sola counted six at least.

"Light em up, we're going right down the middle. We need to lead them as far away from Naboo as possible and lose them before we head for the Klossland system" His instructions were firm, and Sola couldn't help but awe at what every pilot in his Squadron must experience when their Commander was in his element.

"Copy that, I'll give them hell" Lizzy didn't hesitate to start firing as soon as the ships were in range, the blue blaster fire mingling amongst the TIE's red fire as they swerved to dodge the barrage and aim their own shots.

"The shields, green button bottom right above the white lever"

Sola almost missed the words, so engrossed with watching Poe steer the ship from side to side as they manoeuvred their way through the enemy ships, Poe had to look pointedly at her before she jumped into action and found the button. Exactly where he said it would be and clicked it.

"Now the two buttons beside it, quickly" He urged, and this time she complied instantly clicking each button until the ship's shields flashed to light.

A harsh turn to the left almost threw her from her seat as the pilot steered to avoid a particularly nasty pair of cannon shots that were heading straight for their heads inside the cockpit. It reminded her to actually fasten the seatbelts on the co-pilots seat before she would be completely thrown from her chair.

"This ship won't be able to handle many direct hits" Poe grumbled under his breath, they were just about to break atmosphere and he was thinking hard on where to head to next. Hyperspace seemed like a good idea, but that would mean risking the TIE's turning around to rain fire down on Theed before the city had any time to prepare its defences.