Trust Me

Sleep, she needed sleep. Even if they survived, and everything worked out. And even if they didn't, Sola would most likely collapse of exhaustion before any of it came into fruition.

As much as she protested, long enough for Poe to practically have to carry her, Sola eventually surrendered to the comforting hold in his broad arms, he was stronger than he looked. She would've apologised for her weight in his arms if she had enough energy and wasn't so distracted by the act itself . Carrying her bridal style as she relaxed against his chest, the mechanics eyes were already drifting shut by the time he walked into the quarters where the General was recovering. Sola had refused to sleep anywhere else.

Sleep however, didn't come easily.

"Will you stay until I fall asleep?" He was planning on leaving her to rest in peace after having ensured she'd drank some water and ate a ration bar they'd located on their way over, but the hold on his hand stopped the pilot and dragged him back to her side on the floor in the corner of the room. They'd managed to make a little bed out of a couple of old blankets and with Poe's washed down jacket as a makeshift blanket. The one she'd worn on Dantooine that was previously covered in-...that didn't matter now.

Resting her head on his lap as Poe sat down to lean against the wall, Sola let her eyes drift shut again. The feeling of isolation, even with Leia sleeping silently in the room, wasn't one she imagined she could bare right now. Every time her eyes shut, a pair of pale wide blue ones would stare back at her. Hollow. Until she opened them again to look up at Poe. Of course he could see the struggle in her gaze, the way a pained frown pinched her eyebrows, and how her fists were tight in the blankets below her frame. Undoing her hair gently, he smoothed it out behind her head, over his upper thigh to run his large hand through it, a move to comfort her that seemed to work when she closed her eyes once more after several minutes.

"I'll stay" His mumble was quiet, almost drowned out by the noises of the ship and medical equipment in the room, but Sola caught it easily, holding onto it with a grip of steel.

"I'm sorry I..." Poe started, biting his lip to try and keep the frustration from his voice "I'm sorry I didn't come for you sooner" It haunted him still, the way he'd found her strapped to that chair. There wasn't an inch of her face that didn't carry a bruise or at least a splatter of blood. As strong as she had endured, he could see the way the pain had broken her spirit momentarily, and it wasn't something he had intended to let happen.

With eyes still shut, Sola raised one hand up to his face, running her fingertips gently up under his stubble covered jawline hoping to make him aware that she was still listening, and wasn't angry with him "It's not your fault".

"I should've checked that room better, I should've-" He was about to list every single mistake, every reckless negligence he'd made to her, only for Sola to gently shake her head and open her eyes again to stare up at him.

"No...No, you did your best Poe" She didn't want him to go down that unforgiving, drowning, road. It would only end him up somewhere they could not disappear to right now. "I should've scanned the Droid before I ran over to it like I did" Sola corrected softly, his free hand caught her own before she could drop it from his face again, pressing a kiss to her knuckles that made her cheeks tint a pink hue from under the bacta-patches.

"I guess we both made mistakes then..." With that she would agree. They were human after all, and as much as the results of their actions were taring them apart, they needed to stick to being here, in the present.

"Thank you" Sola choked on the idea that if Poe hadn't taken the chance to rescue her, she would be dead by now, or worse. "Thank you for coming for me...".