Duets (Paul)

I closed my apartment door. A long day at a job I hate. Nothing new. I chucked my keys at my bed from the bedroom doorway, and they promptly bounced off and hit the wall, slid down between the wall and the bed. I sighed telling myself I'd get them later. If I remembered. Chances are I'd tear the apartment apart tomorrow morning while trying not to be late to work.

I promptly walked over to my dresser to pick out some clothes I could relax in. Preferably anything except my hot work outfit. I grabbed some sweats and a shirt and sniffled to the bathroom. I spent a few moments looking in the mirror. Looking at the tired look on my face. The overall dissatisfaction in my eyes. I wasn't loving the life I had planned to live, but fixing my job wasn't my number one concern at the moment.

I turned on the shower, quickly jumping out of my dirty, sweaty clothes and jumped into the shower. Jumping back as the hot water hit my back. Satin himself chucking flames at me as I struggled to turn down the heat. Yesterday I guess I could stand a bit hotter water. I ran my face under the water for a little before actually starting to wash my hair. I heard a little knock on the wall and the sound of my neighbor turning on their shower. I shared a wall with the guy living next door. Every so often I could hear him humming faintly through the wall. The walls weren't the thickest, and having two side by side bathrooms, let's just say you hear a lot.

I could hear his shower curtain close, the metal clips that held his shower curtain up scraped loudly against the metal rod. I could hear him moving bottles, they clunked against the wall. He tapped on the wall, I'm assuming unintentionally. I just decided to ignore him. That is until he started singing. Loudly.

It was a song I recognized. It was Elton John's Don't go breaking my heart. (I know it was released in 76... but for the sake of this story, it was released in the 60s.)

"Don't go breaking my heart..." he paused at the parts where Kiki Dee would come in. I listened for a while before I just randomly busted up the courage to join in. "Ohh, and nobody knows it!" His angelic voice traveled through the wall. "When I was down.."

"I was your clown."

"Ooh" we harmonized.

"Nobody knows it" he sang. Not stopping. I was doing something right.

"Nobody knows it."

"That right from the start..."

"I gave you my heart.."

-Time Skip brought to you by Don't Go Breaking My Heart-

This went on. For weeks. We synced up our shower schedules and had shower duets through the wall. I still had never met this man in my life. He had a great voice to be perfectly honest. It got to the point where we started out showers at the same exact time. Never late to any shower.

I stood in the bathroom. Just finished with my shower. The duet had ended and I had the goofy smile on my face that was always there after a shower. That's when there was a knock on the door. (I gave you my keyyy... I'll go home) I wasn't dressed, so I rushed to hastily grab my robe. Attempting to tie it before getting to the door. Successfully tying the string and opening the door.

A man stood there. Correction, a very attractive young man stood there. He looked to be around my age. "Hello? Can I help you?" I asked him, trying my very hardest to not sound mean. I was just a little stunned why this man was standing at my front door.

"Hello, My name is Paul, and I live in the apartment right next door. Right there." He pointed at the door. To the apartment of my shower buddy. "We tend to sing together." He smiled sheepishly, he rubbed the back of his neck, looking down.

I was stunned. This guy was attractive and a good ass singer at that. "Oh." oh? That's all I could come up with. Smooth. "Uhh, my name is Y/n."

"Well a pretty name, to go with a pretty face and a pretty voice." God my face was heating up. I was now occurring to me that I was standing here in my robe. "Well y/n, how about you give me your number and we can do some duets out on some dates." He winked at me. And you bet I just gave Paul my number.

I read this somewhere so credit to whoever came up with it. I thought this fit well with Paul.

Stay Lovely 😊