one

Sunflowers
Marina Young's Pov

         Those sunflowers were dying

Those sunflowers were dying. Each day a yellow tinted petal cascaded down onto the stone patio it sat upon and each day I was ready to simply do anything to save it. "Sunny if you tell me one more time about this guy's dead sunflowers in his backyard I will stop these daily phone calls." She had a point, it didn't make much sense of my utter infatuation with some sunflowers that were dying. But to me it did.

It all started on the 16th of June. The first day I was finally home for the first time in months. I had a date with my couch and a couple of movies that I would rewatch for the millionth time. Being on tour for seventy eight shows around the world had been nothing but an invitation and a right for a break. But the sudden image of those sunflowers suddenly ruined it all. "Tori you don't understand," I say into the phone, peaking out the large windows of my home. "One of my neighbors has these beautiful sunflowers on his patio and they look like the saddest things ever." Hearing my best friend's sigh on the other end was enough for me to already predict what she would say.

"Sunny, you interrupted my shoot to tell me about some flowers?" When she put it like that it sounded just dumb.

"But they're sunflowers."

"Give me a reason why I shouldn't hang up right now, Marina." Tori commands from the other end of the line. My best friend couldn't see me but I pouted at the lack of enthusiasm for these withering sunflowers.

"Well I know you love me, right?" It did come out more as a question than a statement when I said that to her and I hear her sigh before she responds.

"Yes," She answers. "But when you call me about some sunflowers while I'm in the middle of a shoot with Janelle Monáe, well to keep it simple," Tori pauses. "It makes me wanna strangle you through the phone Sunny, baby." She coos in an ironic way which makes my eyes widen when I nod.

"Yeah I got it. Sunflowers are a negative."

"Bye Sunny. Love you." The click of the end button also signaled me to listen to my best friend for once. Perhaps the death of some sunflowers weren't as dire as I made them be. But then again, would I truly be me if I didn't completely spend my free time obsessing over some flowers?

The answer is absolutely not, it's my time to shine.

"Mango," I call out finding my way through the living room until I spot the furry, floppy eared bunny wiggle his nose back at me. "Operation Sunflower is a go!" I tell him as I take a seat beside him on my couch. I slouch in my spot as I sit with my arms crossed in silence. "And don't think I don't know what you're thinking. You think I should leave it alone and stay with you." I say out loud. "And I disagree."