forty-seven : happy birthday, husband

grayson's pov

it has been two and a half months since i met my family face to face. all that i face now is chantel's face. but thank god, she doesn't follow me to my work place. i had told reffda a couple of times that she could visit me at the office if she wants because chantel doesn't have anyone spying on me and i believe her on that because i told her that if someone is actually spying on me, i would not "marry" her.

it was my birthday today and my wife hasn't called me up to wish me. it was already twelve noon. usually, she would've been the one texting me a long message or called me to wish me happy birthday. it was weird and i felt really uncomfortable.

did i do something wrong that made her not say anything? but she seemed okay when we called last night. what made her stay so quiet? she's always texting me in the morning, making sure that i had enough to eat for breakfast.

about this texting thing, i use another phone to communicate with my wife and kids. i tried texting her but i was left on seen. what the hell is going on? why is she doing this?

then, my office telephone rang and i pressed the button for loudspeaker.

"what's up?"

"someone's here to see you, mr dolan."

"who?"

"i'm afraid that i'm not allowed to say anything."

"alright, let him in."

i sighed and stood up, facing the window, looking out at the buildings in front of me. soon, hands were on my face, covering my eyes. those soft hands. i sniffed the air. the perfume that she always uses. i knew who it was.

i turned around to see my wife as gorgeous as always, standing there with a bright smile on her face.

"hi, handsome."

"hey, reffda." i said softly, leaning my forehead against her as my arms went around her waist.

"happy birthday, husband."

"thank you, babe."

that's it. i leaned down and kissed her on the lips. oh god, i missed her so much. i lifted her off the ground, sitting her on the table. i kissed her hard, hungry for her lips. god, i fucking missed this. she hasn't been around for two months and damn it, i didn't think it would be this bad.

"wait for a minute here."

i went over and locked the door, pressing the button to turn the glass window to the opaque one.

"grayson, what are you doing?" she questioned, letting out a small laugh.

"well." i started, walking over to her, unbuckling my belt and unzipping my dress pants. "it's been months since we had sex and i fucking missed you. the least you could do on my birthday for me."

her eyes widened at my words. she blushed a deep red which i found cute. once i reached her, i kissed her again. i'm about to have sex in my office. oh my god. fantasy? i think yes!

i started to unzip the back of her dress while kissing and sucking the skin on her neck. my hand went to touch her back, noticing how she was wearing no bra. oh, that's even better. a smirk formed on my lips.

"grayson." she panted heavily. "as much as i want to do this, we can't. i mean, i can't."

that left me confused. i pulled away from her and looked for answer in her face for any disinterest, disgust and hatred towards me. there was none. so what's stopping her?

"i have something for you even better than sex and i think you will be much more happy when you get this present of yours. but at the same time, i'm not sure you will be happy with it too." she said, dragging her last sentence as she looked down.

"why? is the present that bad?" i joked, chuckling.

"no.."

"okay.. where's the present?"

she bit her lip and reached into her bag and pulled put a small rectangular box. she handed it to me and i sat down on my office chair, pulled her onto my lap. she nuzzled her head into the crook of my neck, one of my hand on her back. i kissed the top of her head. i reached around her to open the small box.

i pulled the ribbon and lifted the cover up. there was a small card. a congratulations was written on it. i got more curious but there was a smile on my face. i lifted the piece of silk that was covering the bottom. inside were sticks of pregnancy tests. what the fuck.

i looked at the sticks. the '+' were clearly indicated on all of them. tears started to well in my eyes and i wrapped my arms around her tightly.

"reffda, babe. look at me."

she moved away and looked at me. her hands went up to my face and she wiped the tear that trickled down my cheek.

"you're pregnant? really? that's our baby?" i questioned, slightly shaking.

she nodded her head with a shy smile. she grabbed my hand, placing it against her tummy. i rubbed my hand on her tummy and i could clearly feel the bump.

"thank you, thank you, thank you." i said happily, planting a light kiss on her lips before going back to hugging her.

"oh my god, we're having a baby." i said softly, not believing the fact that this baby is going to have both my and reffda's genes.

"yes, we are."

"how far along are you?"

"just three months and a half. he or she should be born in early to mid june."

"alright. by that time, i would probably be married to chantel." i said, smiling at her sadly.

"it's fine, really. i don't care about you having another wife. as long as you're happy and know what you're doing, i'll go through with it."

"the thing is i don't want to marry her."

"grayson.."

"i only want to be married to you. last time when i was about to marry her, i was thinking of running away from the wedding. but i stopped myself because of her threats. when we were about to start, derek got a phone call saying you were in an accident and the relief that i felt was indescribable. i was thankful that i wasn't going to marry her."

"i know you're doing this to protect us, grayson. do you think it's worth it? do you think it will make us happy, knowing that you're not?" i shook my head. "then why are you agreeing to this? tell me so that i could understand."

"i overheard her talking on the phone once. she was talking to someone when she mentioned my name. she was angry because i wanted to have the wedding in june since it's still long. she only wanted my wealth, reffda. if she doesn't get it, she's going to hurt you and those that i care about."

she hugged me tightly. i was willing to lose all my money if that's to protect my family from being hurt.

"grayson, i would sacrifice myself for you. i know you don't want to lose this company since it's your dad's. you're having a hard time choosing. i can see that."

"no, i talked to my dad about it. he's the only one who knew about this whole thing. he told me to choose what's best. he doesn't care about the company at all. i chose you and our kids, definitely."

"i love you, grayson."

"and i love you, reffda."

she stayed in my arms for the longest time. i took in her scent. we're going to be away from each other again. soon, it was time for her to leave since vincent called saying that indigo hasn't stopped crying. we kissed each other goodbye and i watched as she left my office. she gave me one last smile before leaving.

a short chapter!! really sorry for the wait!