eighteen.

Jeongguk ended up making his way towards the stables, Taehyung following not too far behind.

He could see from the corner of his eye as Taehyung glanced around curiously, arms wrapped around himself in a comforting manner.

There were various palace workers taking care of the livestock in the close proximity, the smell of manure heavy in the air.

He could see one of the stable boys brushing one of his father's horses outside its stall, unaware of Jeongguk approaching him.

Taehyung still hadn't uttered a word, Jeongguk suspecting that he didn't want to say the wrong thing.

Once Jeongguk was a few feet away from the boy, he cleared his throat in order to gain his attention.

Almost immediately Wooshik, the stable boy, was whipping his head around with wide eyes.

Within seconds he was placing his hands behind his back and bowing for Jeongguk and his mate.

He did it several times looking awfully nervous to say the least.

Jeongguk could hear the horses neighing inside the stables, immediately turning to Wooshik, "Prepare my horse and get me another one of the smaller horses as well."

He turned slightly to the side to look at Taehyung's small figure and deciding it would be easier for him to get on a smaller horse.

But Taehyung suddenly looked scared, eyes looking up at Jeongguk once he mentioned two separate horses.

He had never been horseback riding in his life, only seen horses from a distance and that had been good enough for him.

The thought of riding one alone seemed terrifying and he wished to not do so.

"A-Alpha?" He gently tugged at the back of Jeongguk's white button up shirt, nervously watching as Jeongguk turned to him with a puzzled look on his face. 

"Yes?" He questioned when Taehyung bit his lip in embarrassment.

"I have never ridden a horse before." He blushed a soft shade of pink when Jeongguk's stare became overwhelming.

After a few seconds of silence Jeongguk turned to Wooshik who was still standing there, politely waiting for their conversation to end.

"Fine, just saddle up my horse."

-

Taehyung's eyes widened in excitement as the stable boy returned with a beautiful black horse with a shiny coat and long, luscious well-kept mane.

A small gasp of amazement left his lips as the abnormally large horse approached them before Wooshik handed the reins over to Jeongguk.

After quickly bowing, Wooshik was off to do other work inside the stables, leaving Jeongguk and his mate alone with his horse.

Jeongguk couldn't help glancing towards Taehyung who resembled a child in a candy shop, lips parted as he eyed the neighing horse.

Jeongguk stroked his horse's side lightly in the way he knew he liked.

Taehyung was standing beside him when he hesitantly reached out to touch the horse curiously, hands reaching towards it's face.

But a sudden hand on his wrist had Taehyung stopping mid-way, wide eyes turning to look at Jeongguk who had caught it.

He could instantly feel the tingles spreading all over his body as Jeongguk gripped his wrist.

"Careful," he murmured lightly, eyes on him and not letting go.