Chapter 19: New Life

Thank you so much for reading this story so far! Sorry for not updating sooner but I was extremely busy learning/passing exams >.<

♂+♂=♥

On the road back home, I decided to call my boss. I was a bit nervous but I had to do it. It was for Kek, for our future. As soon as he answered, I quickly explained him the situation after taking a deep breath. Saying he was shocked by my decision was an understatement; he definitely hadn't seen it coming. Our call ended just after he wished me good luck in my future life and that I would be paid for all the work I've already done this month. After years of working for him, I finally did it. I left my job. It was a weird feeling but, at the same time, I felt free. I was feeling like a new life was waiting for me.

As soon as I got home, I called a property center. I needed to contact them so I could try to sell this apartment. I knew it was going to take time that was why I needed to begin the process now. Normally, I should receive the paper next week. After that, I took my laptop and tried to find our new home. I already had something in mind and I hoped to find the right one in real life. After hours of searching and comparing the prices, I finally found the perfect home. It was a big, quite old, farm without any neighbors. There was enough land to raise cattle and have a kitchen garden. With some personal touch, this farm could be our new beginning. Far enough so he couldn't kill people and we could live by our own resources. And well, this was the best I could find in less than an afternoon and with the money I save all these years to be honest...

I took my phone and called the person who was selling this farm. Luckily for me, it was an old man, he seemed nice enough and I could tell he cared deeply about his farm. He just couldn't take care of it anymore, it was too tiresome for him and I could understand that. After asking him a few questions, I learnt that he was selling the farm as well as the furniture and the few animals he still had. It was more than enough, especially at the beginning. I also learnt that he was going to a nursing home soon, on his own will, so I could move in as soon as I would like. Perfect. Just perfect. Everything was now more or less ready for tomorrow... It was going to be my last night in this apartment...

♂+♂=♥

The tomorrow morning, I went back to the hospital as I was told. I was a bit nervous to see him again but I also hoped they were smart enough not to touch him anymore. The psychiatrist welcomed me in a cold voice and was glaring at me the whole time. He leaded me to Kek's room without any words. As soon as he opened the door, I rushed inside the room. Kek was sitting on the bed, staring blankly at the wall in front of him as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. I walked closer but stopped in the middle of the room, I didn't even know if he saw me and I didn't want to scare him. "Hey Kek... I came back for you, as promised..." I said in a small but gentle voice.

At first, he didn't react but then, he blinked slowly before looking at me. I thought I was going to see relief or love in his eyes but no... His eyes were still empty, I never saw him like that. Never. "Do you want to go back home? I have a little surprise for you; I think you will like it." I said, trying to be as excited as I could but, to be honest, he was scaring me.

Without speaking, he got up and stopped in front of me. I was going to take his hand into mine as I always did but the way he flinched when he saw me coming closer made me change my mind. Getting his trust back may be a bit longer than expected...

We left the hospital and none of us said a word. In the car, while I was driving to what was going to be our new home, I tried to make some conversations but failed miserably. "Aren't you excited to see your surprise? I bet you will love it! And we will be together and I swear nobody's going to tear us apart." I said, giving him a small smile just before looking at the road again. He didn't even react to what I said, it was a bit like his body was there but his mind was somewhere else. Somewhere far away.

I sighed and didn't speak during the rest of the travel. I was glad the radio was on to pass time because things would have been way more awkward otherwise. I parked in front of the farm and got out of the car. It was the first time I was seeing the farm with my own eyes and not through pictures and I was happy it looked exactly as I saw it. I turned around and remarked that Kek was still in the car, staring blankly in front of him. I walked around the car and opened the door for him. "Kek, we're here. Let's go, I'm going to show you our new home."

He got out of the car, the blank look still in his eyes and always careful not to touch me. I sighed and closed the car. I began to walk toward the farm after making sure he was following me. I showed him the small but cozy kitchen, the big living room with a fireplace, the two bedrooms and the bathroom. The whole house didn't make him smile once; I couldn't even see happiness or excitement in his eyes. I led him to the back of the house, showing him the kitchen garden and ended the tour with the animals. There was a beautiful black horse, three pigs, a dozen of chickens, two goats and a baby which looked absolutely adorable and a cow. From the corner of my eyes, I saw a small smile on his lips when he saw all the animals. It disappeared way too soon to my liking but I guess it was better than nothing. The Kek I knew what still there, I just had to find how to make him appear again.

"Do you want to stay with the animals while I'm making us some food?" I asked, looking at him for any signs of life. Instead of answering, he walked closer to the goats and sat next to the baby. He held his hands in front of it to show that he didn't want to hurt them. After a few minutes, he began to pet the baby as well as the mother. I smiled at this sight and left to make some sandwiches.

When I was done, I opened the door and called him loud enough so he could hear me from where he was. A few minutes later, he entered in the kitchen, the blank look on his face and no visible smile. I was sitting on a chair, a plate in front of me while the other free plate was in front of the free chair which was just before me. He stared at it for a few minutes before walking slowly toward it.

He sat on the chair in front of me and took a sandwich in his hands and began to eat it slowly. "Is it good?" I asked, still trying to make some conversation. He continued to eat as if I didn't speak, as if he was the only one in the room.

I grabbed his arm, wanting him to notice me so we could try to make things better. As soon as my hand touched the skin of his arm, the sandwich fell on the plate and his eyes widened in fear. He began to shake, the fear more present than ever, and I hated it.

Did his 'punishment' scared him that much or was there something else? Something I didn't know? Whatever it was, I needed to find it out and make things better. I had to.

♂+♂=♥

What did you think about this chapter? What did you think about Jack's reaction to the whole situation? And what about Kek? Do you understand his behavior or do you think there's something else? :)

I hope you enjoyed it and thank you so much for reading the story so far ♥

PICTURE OR KEK HERE ~~~>