five

.✫*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚✫*.

✫*゚・゚。

.✫*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚✫*.

"Time out." My coach calls and the referee blows the whistle. "Hollies get your head in the game." She warns me.

I sigh and try to shake off the thought of Luke off of my mind. He promised to come and watch my game that night in my room but he just didn't show up. I look at the stances and see Julie with Flynn, at least they came, I guess. Cam was a few roads away from them chanting my name with our group of friends by his side. You can do this, just focus.

"We trust you, Lei." Bea assured me and gives me a little pat on the lower region of my back.

I breath slowly, trying to clear my thoughts and look back at coach to hear the tactics that will take to turnaround the game. We were already losing by one set and our second one wasn't going too good either.

We aren't 3 times champions for no reason. I repeat to myself while I prepare to serve the ball that might make us win the game.
I was known for my serves, I could put the ball wherever I wanted with an impeccable velocity, that and my attacks.
I look at Bea and see her signaling the number 13. I look at the opponent player and realize that 13 was a slower and shorter player, making her the weaker link of the team.
I serve the ball making it hit the ground just a few inches away from number 13 who was too slow in her reaction.

I run to the middle of our side of the court and hug my team mates, jumping to celebrate our massive win against one of our main opponents.

"Hollies! Hollies! Hollies!" The whole gym chanted and I couldn't hide the huge grin that appeared on my face.

"Next time don't make us have a heart attack in the beginning of the match." Yuna, one of my team mates, rolled her eyes ironically.

"I was starting to think that I had to take you off the court today." Coach reprehended me.

After talking with my friends that came to support me, I looked around to see if I could find Julie. For some reason I felt the need to talk to her about Luke's absence. He missed their performance yesterday and today he didn't show up at my game even though he told me that he would.
I drove to Julie's house and took the walk to her garage where I knew that I would be able to find her.

"We booked a gig at a cafe." I hear Reggie's enthusiasm.

"Oh so this is important for you." Julie starts with irony dripping from every word. "Just like playing in front of my school was importante for me." She spats back.

"Julie.." Luke tries calling out for her but she just storms out of there hitting her shoulder on me on the way out.

I go down the last steps and the boys come into my sight just in time to watch Luke poof out. A part of me was glad to not face him as he had hurt me by not showing up but the other wanted to confront him and give him a little speech about commitment as he seems to not know what it is.

"Is everything ok?" I intervene gaining their attention.

"We have something to show you and Julie." Alex answers. "I'm going to get her. Reggie, take Lorelei to the place." He adds.

"What place?" Reggie questions and I can't stop the little giggle from coming out.

"Luke's place." Alex grunted poofing out to what I assume was getting Julie.

"Do you think I can take you with me when I poof out?" Reggie interjected, grabbing my hand ready to try it.

"I don't really want to try it." I coughed. "I will take my bike." I offer, dangling the keys in my fingers.

Reggie poofed out and I drove the 20 minutes to the beautiful town house after he gave me the address.

"What are we looking at?" I question crouching besides him behind a bush.

"Luke's house. I mean, his parents' house." He corrected.

"He's crying." I mumble. I barely knew this boy but it was like I could feel his pain, just like they said that they felt with me. "I can feel his heart break." I fretted, holding my chest to try and take away the pain just a little bit.

"That's how we felt that other day." Alex points out coming from behind us with Julie.

I felt a tear sliding down my cheek and then others followed. The pain was just too much. We analyzed Luke as he cried and stared at the older couple.

"That song about Emily?" Alex started. I had no idea what song they were talking about but I just nodded as if I did. "That's Emily. His mom." He finished. I sniffle and continue to stare as the couple places what seemed to be a birthday cake in the table.

"They're eating cake. That's a good sign." Julie points out.

Luke gets down from the counter for the first time and walks to the table, blowing the candles at the same time as his parents.

"It's a birthday cake. For Luke." Alex explains.

We stay there for a few more seconds before the three of them get up and leave to go to Julie's house in her car.
I stay for a few more minutes while tears stream down my face. He was hurting so much. All I wanted to do was take his pain away. It was unbearable.

I get up and hop on my bike to drive back to Julie's house. I wanted to sort things out with both Luke and Julie. Seeing Luke like that and feeling his regret as if it was mine made me realize that I had to mend things with people while I have time because we never know when our last moment with them will be.

.✫*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚✫*.

AN I kind of don't like this chapter(?) I mean it's not terrible but I, for some reason, wasn't able to put what I had in mind into words.
I'm sorry if what I wrote about volleyball is completely wrong but I know nothing about it lmao. Feel free to dm me to help me out with volleyball rules and such for future chapters.