Chapter 8: Laurel Jones, who?

Adam

My plan of stalking Allison didn't go well as I had expected. Coach Spencers phoned the entire soccer team at five in the morning, shouting over the speaker that we need to get our butts in the school field by six or else, he would kick us out in the team. I knew it was an empty threat. He couldn't afford to kick any more members out since the National League was weeks way, but I decided I'd go anyway.

"Can you believe that old fart called me at five for soccer practice?" Zeke complained a little too loudly, taking a huge bite on his hamburger. He was such in a hurry to get there before six that he had spared breakfast. After the two-hour practice with nothing but water break, he said he could eat the first person who will stop in front of him. "He was so stressed out for the National League he was taking it out on us!"

I nodded, biting into my own hamburger. I consulted my watch. It was forty-five minutes past eight. I should be heading to my English III class. I couldn't afford to miss it any more since I had no excuse with my last absence but a terrible hangover.

I could really use some rest, I thought as I thought of my English III class. I was tired from too much humping because that China bitch made me do all the work and then come morning, the two-hour nonstop soccer practice was enough to make my lungs want to collapse.

Zeke complained out loud, about how soccer players should be abstained from classes until the National League.

"I almost forgot, man!" he exclaimed, clapping his hand to my shoulders. I winced in pain, but he hadn't seemed to notice. "What are you getting Mische for her birthday?"

I looked at him and think about what I can get a girl who has everything.

"Something expensive, I guess." I muttered, not sure if I was in the mood for shopping later. Maybe I was going to ask George later to get me something for Mische. The latter doesn't really care about what you give her as long as it's expensive.

Zeke nodded absent-mindedly, clapping his hands to my shoulders, before turning to the left to head on his History class or something and I went the other way, scanning the crowd filled hall, looking for her. Last night, I contemplated on how stupid I was to not even know her name, what course she was taking... but then again, you don't have to ask a lot of questions during a one-night stand. Or maybe I did know her name. I just can't remember it. Fuck, why can't I remember the name of this woman who gave me one glorious night? And it was a freaking one-night stand! I cursed inwardly, my gaze averting left and right when I finally caught a glimpse of her. I gulped, my eyes wide in shock, jaw hanging agape.

She was talking to a girl with brown hair, as she was taking some books out of her locker. I felt my heart raced as my legs turned to jelly. I stopped on my tracks. What am I supposed to do?

A. Approach her and tell her I want to fuck her again.

B. Approach her and laugh at her for being a virgin.

C. Approach her and blackmail her that I have taped the whole thing.

D. Do not approach her.

E. Approach her, re-introduce myself and ask to be friends.

I stood there, a few feet away from her, watching her smile, trying to hear what she was telling the other girl amidst the chattering crowd that surrounds me.

"-Mische party when I was supposed to be studying in Philosophy! I swear, I would flunk the whole thing!" she said hotly. The other girl tapped her on the shoulder, trying to comfort her by whispering something in her ear. She let out a timid smile and talked to the girl once more. I tried to listen some more when my own name came into my ears.

I frowned, shifting uncomfortably on my right foot trying to blend myself in the crowd. I want to find out what the girl was telling her. I took a small step forward, unsure if the thinning crowd could keep me hidden when a hand grabbed my arm. Startled, I looked wildly around to see Georgina frowning unhappily at me.

"Jesus George!" I hissed. "You know I could have punched you! Don't you sneak up on me like that again!"

She neither answered nor smiled at me. Instead, she stared at me like she was weighing a dead piece of meat and in that instant, I knew I was in trouble. Did she know I screwed up with Mische's bestfriend? My heart began to pound wildly inside my rib cage.

"W-Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked nervously.

She took a deep breathe before he tugged me by the sleeves of my shirt. "You are so stupid sometimes; don't you know that?" she hissed as she dragged me away from the rest of the world to our English III classrooms where some of our classmates were busy loitering and whispering with each other. Georgina crossed her arms and huffed angrily.

I frowned at her once more.

"Wait-" I started.

"How can you not tell me that there's something going on between you and Laurel Jones?!" she hissed angrily, pink tinges started to crept up her cheeks. I gaped at her.

"Who?" I asked, honestly having no idea on who the hell she was talking about.

"Laurel Jones." she hissed again. This time, through gritted teeth. Just by looking at Zeke's female counterpart, I could tell she was trying to control herself not to smash me into smithereens. "The political science cumlaude."

"What?!" I asked again, growing more confused every time.

"Don't you try that infernal shit on me, Adam. You know it wouldn't work on me."

"I don't know who the hell was that Laurel Jones, George." I admitted truthfully. "Really."

She opened her mouth to retort but everybody was scrambling to their feet. The professor has arrived and the whole class were trying to find seats. I hoisted my backpack up my shoulder and took a seat beside George who was trying to calm herself.

"What was that thing about Laurel Jones?" I whispered, looking at my friend.

"She's spreading rumors that you two were together." George hissed, not looking at me. Her mouth forming a thin line as she speaks. "Now the whole school was thinking that you were screwing her."

"Wouldn't that do good to my already good reputation?" I jammed, trying to lighten the situation. "Screwing the political science cumlaude?"

She raised an eyebrow at me and I decided to shut my mouth. We fell quiet for a moment, watching our balding professor prepare his laptop.

"Hey," I started gently. "Everybody's spreading rumors about somebody. Let her enjoy being the talk of the town. It'll die down soon enough."

George nodded mutely and proceeded to listening to the lecture while I sat back and reclined my back to my seat replaying Mische's bestfriend's conversation with- Holy shit. That brown-haired girl mention Mische's name. Did she tell someone about the party? Did Mische told her about the latest gossip about me and that Laurel Jones whom I can swear that I have nothing to do with? Goodness. I palmed my face exasperatedly. She must've thought of me as the soccer player who sticks his dick into three different girls a day. That would be awful. But didn't she mentioned something about failing her Philosophy class before Mische's name got mixed up in the conversation?

I smirked.

I think I know exactly how I can get to her.