|19|

I woke up the next morning to a text

We need to talk

I didn't need to check who it was from, but I did check the time stamp, 3:38 AM. Good, he couldn't sleep. 

It was half-past five in the morning, but I texted him back anyway. 

Meet at the cafe at 7

I didn't get a response, not that it was needed. I busied myself until then with chores, Posiden, and, as always, paperwork and normal responsibilities for the café. 

Seven o'clock came around too fast for my liking and every time I heard the bell chime I winced. I wasn't completely sure why maybe I was afraid of having my heart broken again. Maybe I was dreading another fight happening. I checked my watch and saw that I had two minutes until seven.

Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll chicken out. Or maybe he wasn't awake.

I heard the bell chime and begun to ask what they wanted before turning around. Of course the one time I don't immediately check to see who came in, he comes in. He had an emotionless face that I was familiar with. But I saw his eyes, but I couldn't completely decipher every emotion they told. 

I made sure my employee was okay with me leaving before we went upstairs.

Posiden trotted over to Ace and tried to place with him. Normally Ace would've succumbed to his puppy charms instantly, but this time he simply pats his head and lead the way to the table. 

I sat across from him, a cup of tea in my hands. I personally preferred coffee, but I was already shaky and the tea would help calm my nerves.   

He took a deep breath before talking. 

"I'm sorry."

I looked at him and tried hard to mask my emotions as well. I didn't want him to gain any satisfaction with my discomfort. 

"I don't know why I said that last night. I have never thought that about you before, but it just came out. You are not a whore, not that I have to tell you that. You are classy, elegant, and downright sexy kiska. I do love you, I have never stopped despite what you may think. But I don't want to drudge that argument up."

He took a breath. 

"With that being said," 

I shut my eyes and took deep breaths of my own. I opened them and saw him with a small jewelry box.

"Ace?" 

He chuckled a little, "Don't worry kiska I'm not proposing yet. This," He opened the box. "is an apology of sorts. Not really a promise ring, I don't understand the purpose of those. But, it is a promise that I will be my best for you and I will give you the benefit of the doubt." 

I smiled and took the box, inside was a set of garnet accessories, a ring, earrings, and a necklace. 

"What no bracelet too?" I joked. 

His eyes got big. "I-" 

"Stop, I was joking." 

"Oh." He breathed out.

We hung out for a little bit but he got another emergency mafia call and had to leave. I called Grace and filled her in, and she was loving every bit of it. 

She breathed out, "Gosh babe. Your life is so exciting." 

I laughed a little. "Not really. This is the most exciting thing in a long time. Otherwise, I was just a poor orphan hoodlum."