one

one

_____ 🌿 _____

day 2190

journal entry #2747

;

Without any context, it was hard to believe it was the end of the world. The sun shone brightly overhead the suburban homes. Cars remained parked in their driveways, the grass as green as she could be. There wasn't a place the sunlight couldn't reach, and she graced the city with her warm rays. It was hot enough to go swimming, or for a barbecue. There should be families outside in their backyards, grilling hot dogs and hamburgers, parents joking around while their kids played together. Nothing seemed like it was out of the ordinary, except for the young boy, perched atop the roof of one of the homes, scribbling furiously in a notebook. On a normal day, Jungkook would have been the only thing out of place, because nobody sat this high up on their roof just so they could journal. He was up there almost every day now - if the weather was nice enough. It had become routine. On a normal day he'd be inside with his brother, playing robots or army men. Something stupid like that. But it was the end of the world, so Jungkook could do whatever the fuck he wanted. Sitting on roofs to journal just happened to fall under such a category.

Jungkook had tried to keep a journal once before, when he was in grade school. He wasn't very good at it, and gave up rather quickly. But life in the aftermath was enough to drive anyone insane so he started again to keep his sanity.

Just so we're clear on something, the end of the world fucking sucks - This was normally how his entries began. I was hoping for something cool like an alien invasion or natural disasters. Fuck, at this point, I'd love to see a zombie, at least there'd be some sort of human-ish interaction, but oh, no I got the short end of the straw and it's a one man show. Me against the universe, and man is it ever fucking lonely. You'd think that maybe, just maybe, there'd be at least one more human on this god forsaken planet, but noooooo. I haven't seen another person in six years.

Of course, Jungkook was just estimating. He had no idea how many years had passed, but based on the amount of winters he'd gone through, six was a pretty good estimate.

I feel like I'm slowly going crazy, which wouldn't surprise me at this point. My dad once said that if you left a man alone with his thoughts it could kill him...just wondering how long it's going to take...

Jungkook frowned. He didn't like to talk about his family. Why couldn't you have stayed with me? Why did you have to go? He let out a heavy sigh.

It's much warmer now...it's probably June. My crops are growing nicely which is good. I can't have a repeat of last year. I planted too early and the frost nearly killed half them off. I wish I had a greenhouse. I'm hoping that maybe the weather will hold off too...I think it's going to rain. I can feel a chill coming on. I'll have to cover them so that they don't get damaged.

He paused his writing, his hand poised over the page like there was something else he needed to add. He made a face, sucking his bottom lip between his teeth before deciding against his thought. He drew a line under the paragraph, and closed the book. He didn't have anything else he wanted to add for the time being, but if something else came up, he would add it.

He tucked the notebook into his backpack, and slung it over his shoulder. He didn't move right away though. He stayed on top of that roof for quite some time, taking in the scenery. It was too quiet up here, but it was too quiet anywhere he went in the city. It didn't get any easier though. You'd think after six years of being alone, he'd be okay with the silence, but the silence was unnerving. He could still remember the loud gunshots from all those years ago. The ones that made him sit in paralyzed fear for who knows how long. Jungkook was not a fan of the silence.

But it eventually got too hot sitting up there, and if it was going to rain, then he needed to hurry home and cover his vegetables so that they survived. Plus, he was hungry. Just thinking about food made his stomach rumble. He rose carefully, so that he wouldn't fall, and grabbed onto the radio tower that was attached to the side of the house. He shimmied down it expertly, and hit the ground with a thud. His boots thudded against the dirt. It felt weird to be in the shade from having sat up there almost all morning, and quickly moved out back into the sunlight. On a normal day, one might think he was a high schooler, coming home from school, or maybe just leaving. It was hard to tell time in the aftermath...the days seemed to blur together. But this wasn't a normal day, and Jungkook hadn't been in school for a long time. He began the trek back to his place with a sigh.

Being lonely sucked.

_____ 🌿 _____

here we go!