fifteen

fifteen

_____ 🌿 _____

Jungkook is alone when he wakes up. Taehyung's side of the bed is empty, the blankets tucked up neatly around Jungkook. He frowned, lifted his head tiredly from the pillow, and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He blindly reached around the room for the lamp because it's pitch black in the bunker otherwise. A dim yellow light flooded the room around him, but Jungkook couldn't see him. Exhaustion swept over him in seconds however, and he was dozing back off before he could question where Taehyung had even gone.

He's still alone when he wakes up for good that morning, and Jungkook is a little stressed out by the idea of not being able to wake up next to the older. He stumbles from the bedroom, and out into the rest of the bunker, where it's pitch black. Again, he has to fumble for the light switch, and when he finally finds it, he's greeted by loneliness, because he can't find Taehyung anywhere else in the bunker. He's not in any of them rooms. There isn't even a note telling him where he went.

He figured Taehyung must be outside, running errands or something. Maybe he's cutting wood, but that would be silly because the bunker has heat. There wouldn't be any need to cut wood. The glass has also been cleared of any snow, which means he isn't out shoveling. Or maybe he was, and was just finishing up. But he can't see any movement from where he stood, and he can't hear the sounds of a shovel scraping against the ground.

Jungkook's anxiety rose in him rather quickly after that.

He tried to remain calm, and busy himself with some cleaning. Taehyung was fine and there was nothing to worry about. He washed the dishes from the previous nights, and managed to get a load of clothes soaking in the tub. He'd hang them up in a couple of minutes. He focused on making some breakfast, but he was so sick with worry that he couldn't bring himself to eat what he had made. Taehyung still hadn't shown up, and now he was genuinely afraid that something had gone wrong. His hand shook as he forced some food into his mouth.

Taehyung is fine. He tells himself. There's nothing to worry about.

Taehyung still hasn't returned by the time he'd wrung out and hung up the clothes. He takes almost an hour to rearrange his books, and Taehyung hasn't come back. He tries to take a nap, but the anxiety prevents him from getting a couple minutes of peace.

As the sky begins to darken, Jungkook dons his coat and boots and exits the bunker. It's freezing cold outside, and there's snow swirling all around him to the point that he can barely see anything. He's terrified now because if Taehyung is out in this weather he could get lost and seriously hurt. Jungkook doesn't know if he should dare to venture any further than the bunker, but he really wants to know where Tae is. He's going insane not knowing. He knows this can't be a dream, Taehyung has been here with him for the past four years now. This was their fifth winter together. Life was getting really good for them, he couldn't just disappear on him now.

It's too hard for him to see though and with the sky rapidly darkening, Jungkook ducks back into the bunker to wait out the snow. Maybe Taehyung will be home soon.

Or maybe he's gone for good.

Shut up! He's coming back.

But what if he isn't? What if he's hurt, or worse...

NO! STOP IT! HE'S FINE!!

I'm just saying...maybe you're on your own again.

It's safe to say he's paranoid.

He's staring up at the pitch black sky from the greenhouse. Snow has begun to pile against the glass again, making it almost impossible to see outside. Jungkook hasn't eaten all day, he's exhausted but can't sleep. He knows it's late - it's been dark for hours - but Taehyung is nowhere to be found.