five

five

_____ 🌿 _____

Jungkook feels stiff when he wakes up. He's sprawled out on his couch, his upper body dangling off the cushions. He groaned as he pushed himself up into a sitting position. The sun is trying to break through his curtains, and he wished he knew what time it was. He wanted to know how much daylight he had left.

He ran a hand through his hair and yawned. "Good morning,"

Jungkook made a screeching noise and jumped to his feet, startled by the voice. In doing so he tripped over his foot and fell forward. A pair of strong arms flashed out and caught him. A deep chuckle resonated in his ears. "Are we going to make this a habit? You scream and I catch you?"

He was met with familiar eyes as he lifted his head.

"Taehyung...hi," Jungkook let out a nervous laugh as he smiled up at the man. "I'm sorry, you just came out of nowhere and um...I'm sorry, I promise I'll stop screaming,"

Taehyung laughed as he helped steady Jungkook. "It's alright Jungkook, I don't mind. At least I know I'm not imagining you. I don't think my subconscious could conjure of such a scream,"

Jungkook could feel his cheeks heating up at his statement. He felt so guilty for screaming at Taehyung when all he'd done was say good morning. He turns even redder when he realizes that Taehyung isn't wearing a shirt, and ducks his head.

"I really am sorry," he mumbled embarrassed. "I'm not good with human interaction,"

"On the contrary, I think you're doing just fine," Taehyung assured him. He offered Jungkook an encouraging smile. "Besides, I wouldn't expect you to be good at this, not after what we've been through. I think we're allowed to be a little rusty,"

Jungkook liked the we're part a lot more than he thought he should.

"I just, I feel bad though? If that makes any sense. You're really nice to me and all I do is scream in response,"

"Don't worry about it Jungkook,"

Jungkook took a deep breath and sighed.

"Are you hungry?" He asked, taking in Taehyung's appearance. He looked a little too thin for Jungkook's liking. "I don't have a large variety to pick from but there's cereal, or granola bars. I don't have milk though - it went bad within the few months," Jungkook's rambling but he doesn't realize. Talking to Taehyung is quite natural for him, and part of that is because Jungkook forgot that he's real. He's still going and when he finally realizes that he's not just talking to himself he stops and turns red. Before he had a chance to apologize, Taehyung smiled at him.

"Cereal sounds great,"

Jungkook poured two bowls of dry cereal and found a couple of canned drinks from under the cupboard. The sugar drink wasn't healthy, but it was one of the only things that hadn't expired. It wasn't the most ideal breakfast - and certainly not something he'd envisioned preparing if he ever met someone other than him - but Taehyung doesn't seem to object. They eat quietly, and Jungkook is free to take in Taehyung's features now. He looks a little older than him, but still young. His light brown hair has been tied back with a piece of string. His skin looks rough - he has scars along his torso - but smooth at the same time. He's tan too, a little darker than Jungkook and that's surprising to him because he does spend a lot of time out in the sun.

At some point Jungkook pulls out his journal to fill in the silence.

diary entry #2748

Okay so maybe the end of the world isn't so bad after all. I finally met another human being. His name is Taehyung and this is so much better than zombies. At least, I don't think he's a zombie. He'd probably have eaten me by now if he wants. I really hope he stays - or at least wants to stay. I'm so happy I'm not alone and I'd be so sad if he decided he wanted to leave. I need to stop screaming when I see him. He's hot too...is that weird to say? Maybe it's just my brain being funny because I literally haven't seen anyone else since, but I mean..he is good looking.

He can feel Taehyung's eyes on him as he scribbles away, and when he finally acknowledges him, Taehyung is smiling.

"You too huh?"

He's already reaching into his own backpack - the very worn down one that he had been carrying when Jungkook had stumbled across his trap. He's pulling out a much thicker journal, and it's just as worn down as his bag. "I try not to write as much - it's the only one I have, and I have to be careful about conserving my pencil...I don't know what I'd do if it ran out,"

Jungkook puts his journal down, and gets up from his spot. He wanders over to the cabinet above the rusty sink, and digs around until he finds a box. He pulls out an old pen and hands it to Taehyung. "You can use this - I have a lot -" he added when he noticed that Taehyung was about to object.

"Thank you," Taehyung's voice is soft.

Jungkook returns to his seat, and takes a sip of his drink. It tastes a little flat, but he doesn't mind. "So," he begins, pursing his lips.

"So..." Taehyung adds, waiting for him to continue.

"What are your plans for the day?" Jungkook questioned. It's still light out, the sun hasn't moved from its position in the sky, which means they have a couple of hours of daylight left. Taehyung chuckled at the question and took another bite of his cereal.

"I haven't the slightest clue," he mused. "I had planned to spend a couple days here, maybe take up a permanent residence...and then I had the pleasure of catching a boy in a trap and well...plans have changed,"

"You'll stay right?" Jungkook asked in a soft voice. "I promise I won't scream when I see you anymore. I was so sure last night was just a dream and that I had conjured you up out of loneliness. Please don't go," He knew he must've sounded desperate, but Taehyung seemed to be feeling the same way, because he was nodding his head, eagerly, like a child.

"Promise you won't scream?" Taehyung was teasing him, and Jungkook giggled, nodding his head.

"I promise,"

_____ 🌿 _____

i still don't know how i feel about my delivery for this book but i'm excited to write cute taekook moments :)