nine

nine

_____ 🌿 _____

Jungkook made a face as they sat bundled up on the edge of the hill, enjoying their last bonfire of the season. The week had passed by too quickly for his liking, and now here they sat atop the hill. The leaves were turning colours now, and they had begun to fall from their branches. He's curled up under his own blanket, but they're sharing a mattress. They'd have to carry it back with them once they were finished - it'd be one last thing they'd have to do in the morning but Jungkook knew that it would be a lot for them. Taehyung spent the day chopping wood, and Jungkook was busy boarding up some of the trailers nearby in preparation to keep the cold out. Their bodies were sore.

The fire crackled in front of them, giving off a lovely orange hue that matched the sunset. Jungkook would miss this once the snow hit. They spent a lot of time inside when the snow came, and Jungkook always missed the warmth.

Taehyung could sense that Jungkook's seasonal depression was hitting a lot sooner than it usually did. He didn't like when Jungkook got like this - he missed his laugh and the way he would smile. The cold made him sad, and when he was sad, Taehyung often wondered if he was going to lose him. Would this be the year his depression took over? It worried him greatly. He would not lose him.

Scooting closer to him, Taehyung wrapped an arm around Jungkook's waist and pulled him back so that they were lying against the mattress. He drew him close, adjusting their blankets so that one acted like a pillow and they could bundle up under the other. He cupped Jungkook's face with one hand, stroking his thumb over his cheek. "I know you miss the warmth but it'll be back," Taehyung murmured, his eyes scanning his. "This winter will be a fun one, I promise,"

Jungkook didn't smile, he only nuzzled his face closer to Taehyung's. "I hate the cold," he mumbled.

Of course, Taehyung already knew this. "What do you hate about the cold?"

Taehyung had been wondering this for years. He never knew the reason behind Jungkook's hatred towards winter. He'd never asked until now. He was too afraid to ask him, because he wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer, but this would be their fifth winter together, and he wanted to make sure he could do everything in his power to make it enjoyable for him.

Jungkook let out a heavy sigh.

"The cellar my brother and I hid in when the world ended was freezing. Silence, and cold, and darkness all remind me of the days I spent down there. I hate it. It's why I never stayed in my house after all this time, or why I don't go back. Those houses remind me too much of what I lost. I can't go back there it hurts too much,"

He doesn't realize he's crying until Taehyung wipes away his tears. "Jungkook," he's voice is soft and comforting. "I'm so sorry Love-"

"I-It's okay," he whispered, squeezing his eyes shut. "I have you now. I'm okay,"

Taehyung pulled him closer. Of course he had him, he would always have him. Jungkook rested his head against his shoulder. Taehyung's hand rubbed soothing circles on his back. "Jungkook?" Taehyung prompts again. Jungkook doesn't look up, but he acknowledges him with a soft, "hmm?"

"How old were you when the world went to hell?"

"I was ten," Jungkook whispered. "Jihoon - my brother - was fourteen,"

Taehyung laughed silently then. He doesn't mean to, it just slips out, and he's sure Jungkook is confused. The boy craned his head up. "What's so funny?"

"I'm older than you," Taehyung mumbled. "I was fifteen years old when the world ended,"

Jungkook frowned ,not in a bad way. He wasn't angry or upset, he was just thinking. "S-So...that means you were... at least twenty-one when we met," Jungkook replied, trying to do the math in his head. "I was sixteen,"