Memory Eleven

Things were weird for awhile between me and my dad after Joseph and Drew went off to college. My dad didn't trust me anymore. I guess he couldn't get over the fact that I was growing up and he certainly didn't like that fact that it was happening right under his nose.
     All the many years that he had let Drew stay with us had led up to that moment. He felt like he had made a parenting mistake. It wasn't his fault though.
     On my 16th birthday when he got me my Honda Accord he asked me to drive him to the store. He said he wanted to see how I was liking the car. I was so excited that I didn't even think about the fact that he would probably criticize my every move.
   Surprisingly he didn't say anything the whole drive. He just seemed to observe me which made me nervous. He went inside the store and returned with the items.

I nervously pulled off the lot and onto the street making sure I made no mistakes. He was quiet for a long time but then he finally spoke. 

"Sky I want you to know I'm very proud of the woman you are becoming," he said. He wasn't looking at me and I couldn't read his face because I had to keep my eyes on the road. I opened my mouth to speak but he continued on.

"I trust you and I want you to know that I don't blame you for what happened over the summer." He didn't have to explain what he meant. I already knew he was talking about what happened between Drew and I.

"And I'm sorry I wasn't around more when you and your brother were growing up. But I'm gonna make up for it. Things will be different."

Neither of us said anything the remainder of the ride home. I pulled the car into our driveway and opened my door. 

"You did the right thing by not talking to him anymore," he said as he opened the car door and climbed out. He smiled at me and I smiled back weakly. I could feel my phone vibrating in my pocket as he spoke. The call would have to wait. We went inside and my mom greeted us asking us how the drive was. I rattled off a response before running up to my room to look at the missed call. It was Drew. He was still in my life and always would be but my dad didn't have to know that. He wouldn't understand. He would just say he groomed me and blame him for what happened but I knew better. I loved Drew before he loved me. This was destined. I dialed him back and as soon as I heard him breathe my name, I smiled.