Memory Five

When Drew first went off to college, things were good. I'm not going to lie, I missed him but even though we were far apart, I still felt close to him. He called me first thing when he got there. "Guess who?" he said into the phone. I was doing one of my dad's crossword puzzles and dropped my pencil. It was him. I didn't even have to guess. "Hey..." I said breathlessly. "So how is it there?"
"It's pretty cool. I've met some nice people already. Just getting situated in my dorm. My roommate is cool."
"I miss you." I say.
"I miss you too."
"When are you coming back to visit?"
"Maybe Christmas, I don't know."
"My dad's still pretty pissed about what happened. You might not be able to stay with us."
"I know, but my mom says I'm welcome to stay there."
"I'm glad you two made up."
"Me too."

It's silent for a moment. "Sky?" he finally says.
"Yes?" I say a bit alarmed. His tone is serious as he says this:
"Promise me you won't move on. Promise you'll wait for me."
"Drew I don't want anyone but you."
"Can you just tell me you won't."
"But why?"
"Sky."
"I promise I'll wait for you."
"Good because I don't wanna have to fight anyone over you."
I laughed.
"I wish you were here to kiss me." I confessed.
"I wish I was there too. I have to go move some more stuff in. Bye gorgeous. I'll call you."
"Bye."
And that was the end of our conversation. Drew was still mine and I was still his. Things weren't ruined. Not yet.