Chapter 8: A Night of Grandeur

"Quick! Tie the horses here. Our bags should be fine."

The sun had already set in Mirkwood, and Lord Daurion was anxious not to be late. Arwen and Evangeline dismounted and tied their horses to a few trees, giving them plenty of rope length for movement. A basket of apples was set up in the area – courtesy of the Mirkwood elves.

Arwen smoothened her ocean-blue gown. Evangeline thought she wore it because of the intricate silver spirals on the sleeves and hem of the gown, and the fact that it brought all the more attention to her matching eye color. Arwen actually chose it because it was the color of water – the elemental power of the earthborn who had become the closest person she had to a sister. For the first time, she shall be in the company of elves who have no notion as to who she is. Arwen smiled at Evangeline, who was trying to hide her anxiety by smoothing her wrinkle-free dress. "Your gown is enchanting, though not as much as you are."

Evangeline stopped fidgeting with her emerald gown. With long, bell shaped sleeves and a wide, though not deep, neckline that cut at her shoulders, she was the picture of elegance. Though her dress did not show her toned, lean muscles that gave evidence of stamina and years of training, there was a strength in her walk and gaze that spoke of self-control and maturity.

Daurion looked up. The forest was so thick that the sky could not be seen. "It has been many years since I last came into Mirkwood."

"Has it changed much since?" Evangeline asked.

"It looks different to me. This forest does not seem as bright as it used to. But often, it is people who change, not the place." He shook his head. "But we will not tarry while I ponder the past."

In a few moments, two Mirkwood elves approached the group, greeted them, and escorted them to the throne room. Draped in glittering silver robes, King Thranduil sat upon his throne. A crown of thin branches, intricately interwoven with leaves, rested atop his head. One leather black boot crossed the other as he his gaze rested on the incoming guests.

One of the elves that escorted them cleared his throat. After introducing Daurion and Arwen, he paused. "Also celebrating with us tonight is Lady Evangeline, adopted daughter of Elrond."

Thranduils mouth twitched as he shifted his gaze to Evangeline. His stare felt like a sword pointed at her. She did not dare lift her head, choosing instead to keep it politely bowed. Appearing casual was difficult enough. It did not help that she could practically hear Daurion holding his breath.

"How long have you dwelt in Rivendell?"

Her response was quick. "For nearly thirty years."

"And Lord Elrond has treated you well?"

Evangeline was tempted to look at him, to read his intentions by asking her these questions. Does he mean to insult Adar? Or does he not believe that I am his adopted daughter?

"Evangeline!" Daurion whispered.

"Pay no heed, Lord Daurion. Last I heard, she does speak." Thranduil leaned forward from his throne. "Unless she wishes to hide how she feels."

Evangelines lifted her head. With all the grace she could muster, she held her anger in check. "Lord Elrond has been the father I have never had. His kindness towards me has been matched by no one."

Thranduil settled back in his seat. "It is good to hear you speak well of him. I regret that he was not able to come. May you return to him with only praise and good word of how you all are treated here." He nodded to his left – a little ways to where the entrance of the ballroom was. "Be merry and allow the stars to lighten your way."