Chapter 41: Cursed

Faramir's eyes widened as Denethor continued to point at Estelwen like a prophet of doom. "You cannot be serious. She was not even here when we were attacked!"

Denethor glared at Estelwen and ignored his son. "Why did you come here?"

Estelwen barely flinched, even though all she felt was defiance.

"She came here because I sent for her!" Gandalf marched into the room, eyes smoldering.

Denethor sank back into the throne. He reached over to the silver platter and plucked a grape off a large cluster. "You did not mention bringing foreigners into my terrain, wizard." He reached for a goblet.

"You have other matters to worry about, Steward!"

Denethor shot up, spilling wine from the goblet onto the floor. "The throne of Gondor is mine!" He shook with fury. "And no other's!"

Gandalf firmed his mouth. He turned and stomped out of the room, his white cloak billowing out behind him.

Estelwen looked at Faramir, though she addressed them all. "I came to help in whatever way I could best." She turned and walked out.

Denethor spat. "Then you will give the Witch King what he wants!"

Estelwen stood still after the doors shut behind her. She hated it, but Denethor had a point. Why was she holding back? Had there not been a prophecy about her? Was she not gifted with her connection to water, as well as being trained by one of the best elven swordsmen? She flexed her fingers before feeling the handle of one of her three ice daggers, which had been preserved from melting by her power. Three was not enough for what she had in mind.

Estelwen scampered down to a well and drew a bucket. If I plan this well, I should not need many. No one was around. She took a deep breath, created three ice daggers, and them into her belt. Unfortunately, she would not be able to make anything larger without Gandalf's help. And no one else needs to be brought into this. She pulled her cloak around her and headed towards the entrance of the city as quickly as she could.

"Estelwen!" Gandalf hurried towards her. "Where are going? The enemy can attack at any moment!"

Estelwen did not stop to answer him until she reached the city walls. "I am not going to hide."

Gandalf opened his mouth, about to protest her foolishness, until he realized what she meant. "You are not going out to meet him."

"Gandalf-"

"Did Denethor put you up to this?" Gandalf's beard shook. "He has no right to tell you anything! He is not the king. You know who the throne of Gondor belongs to!"

"This is no fool's errand, Gandalf. Even if Aragorn should succeed in summoning the dead, it will be too late! We must give him more time. You must continue to rally the men-"

"How did you know I was doing so?"

Estelwen paused, recalling all that Amariel had shown her through her dreams. "I had a vision."

"A vision." Gandalf looked at her suspiciously. "Estelwen, I cannot stop you. In more ways than one, you are different than any others I have met. I do not know where your future lies." He sighed, lowering his head. "But I do know that we have never won a war by a single power or force, but by our friendships and allies."

Estelwen touched his wrist, which was tightly grasping his staff. "Maybe this time, we can."

Gandalf looked up, knowing that she was attempting to console him, but failing to do so. "You know I cannot allow you to face them alone. Lead the way." He signaled the men on top to open the gates. They did so, unaware of its significance. Estelwen strode out, Gandalf following.