Chapter 13: Spies

As they passed out of the archway of Rivendell, Legolas slowed his pace until he was side-by-side with Evangeline, who was in the back of the group. For a moment, he remained silent, taking in her beauty. Half of her black tresses were tied back in thin braids while her velvety green tunic brought out the depth of her currently brown eyes. Although her clothing did not reveal much skin, the tan of her hands and face told of many days in the sun. Practicing with her blades, no doubt.

It was rare enough that she was trained in Rivendell to be a warrior, but rarer still was her choice of weapon. Legolas knew few elleth who cared to learn the art of the sword. It was clear that Evangeline not only expected a fight, but intended to participate. Lost in his marveling, he didn't realize that she had been watching him.

"Yes?" she prodded, though not unpleasantly.

He snapped out of his daze as he faced the matter at hand. "I apologize for the earlier interruption. And I am not listening to him again," he gestured directly ahead towards Aragorn. "At least, as far as arrows are concerned."

She gave a little smile. "He is better at giving orders than he thinks he is."

"In the future, my bow will sing alongside your sword." Lengthening his stride, he resumed his place at the lead. He looked back to see if she was following him. She was still trailing the end of the group, behind Aragorn and Frodo. It dawned on him that she wanted time to herself. I wonder what troubles her. He turned back ahead to face the rocky foothills west of the Misty Mountains.

Evangeline cast down her gaze. She was not upset with Aragorn or Legolas. If anything, Aragorn's way of announcing and proving that she was an earthborn was less awkward than her assumption that Elrond was going to rise from his chair and announce out of nowhere who she was. She was recalling her conversation with Lord Daurion right before they had left Rivendell...

"Are you coming with us?" Evangeline asked.

"No, you are the better skilled of the two of us. There is nothing I can do that you cannot," he turned to leave, but changed his mind. "You know, you were meant to do more than trail along this Fellowship."

"What do you mean-"

"Why did you not volunteer to carry the Ring?" he demanded.

She didn't know how to explain. "It...it would have been wrong. Frodo was willing to carry it. The look in his eyes told of an inner strength that he was born with. No training could have given that to me. If Frodo needs an extra pair of swords in this quest, than that is what I'm willing to be."

He walked away.

Evangeline doubted it was because he believed her.

As she looked ahead at Frodo, she began to doubt her choice to leave the Ring to him. On the outside, he carried himself well, but in his eyes, she saw the pain and the war raging inside. Is this right? It is right that I let him carry the curse an earthborn created? Am I allowing him to fight the war I should be fighting? The thought left her unsettled. She had been trained to directly encounter her enemies as well as her problems, but she was not certain how to address this one.

Hours later, the company settled to take a break. It was about midday and the sun shone directly upon the open green hills. Sam started a fire to boil water for tea while Gandalf settled on a nearby rock, smoking his pipe. Evangeline was admiring the clear sky when two hobbits walked up to her. Ah! These are the cousins, if I recall correctly.

"My lady!" the lighter-haired one addressed her.

"Seeing that you are so skilled, would ya mind giving us hobbits a little lesson? We ain't so bad ourselves, but one should be open to improving once and a while." The dark-haired one nodded cheerfully.