Chapter 10: Called to Act

Her eyes had turned blue. Arwen did not tell her until they reached Rivendell, but while Evangeline had wept for Radagast, her soft brown eyes had turned into fiery sapphires.

Their color transformed every time Evangeline felt the surge of sorrow and anger from the painful memory. For a long time, she had known that she would have to face the growing evil in the world. What she did not expect was for it to come after her so soon.

She lifted a sphere of water and concentrated with all her might, recalling her strongest emotions. Her eyes flashed while a surge of her energy froze the ball in midair. As she let it fall into the stream, her eyes resumed their natural color. Her element was undependable at times, varying in intensity with her emotions and strength. She needed a weapon that was reliable, such as her swords. She swung her blades around, moving through techniques she already knew. As she whipped around, her right blade struck steel.

Aragorn was holding out his sword. In his eyes, Evangeline expected to find sadness, but she found something different – understanding. He knew her pain. He had felt it before.

This is only one way he can help me, and he knows it. She drew back her sword. "Teach me."

Aragorn did not speak. He pulled back his sword, holding it with both hands. Evangeline fell into her stance, left blade in front and her right blade held behind her back, ready to strike. As they dueled, Evangeline was forced to change her strategies. Aragorn did not strike the same way or revert to the same positions. He changed.

During one point, their blades met and they locked in place. He was strong and she knew she was going to lose. She dropped one sword and drew up a sphere of water, holding it in place next to his head. He pushed away and let down his sword. Entranced, he reached out to touch the sphere. He quickly put his hand down when he realized that she was still on guard. "Flow. Water never holds back and neither should you, because your enemy will not do so. Do not doubt yourself. But most of all," he sheathed his sword, "do not doubt your heart."

His words had voiced what she felt. The techniques of her training were only tools and added knowledge. The real fight would have to come from inside her. She sheathed her swords, knowing that she no longer needed to practice with Daurion. I am ready.

__________

Throughout the next several years, Aragorn visited often. The House of Elrond had trusted Aragorn as a child and they trusted him all the more as a man who was the leader of the Dúnedain. Yet, it was not until thirty years later – only a season to the elves – that Aragorn expressed to Elrond his admiration and love for Arwen. While Elrond accepted the proposal, he made it clear that Aragorn would not marry Arwen while there was still so much turmoil in the world.

Aragorn and Arwen spoke for hours at a time. During one such time, Evangeline could not help but overhear their conversation.

"Why does one who should be king of Gondor wander throughout the north and refuse his throne?" Arwen asked.

Aragorn looked down. "There is no hope in men. You know of my lineage, of my ancestors failure to end this darkness when he had the chance. I cannot have the same-."

She pressed a finger on his lips. "You do not have that fate. Ada has said so himself."

Evangeline walked away, not wanting to intrude. She could not help but feel that in some way, all of their fates were entwined. She turned her thoughts to the hobbit that recently came from the Shire, the one who called himself Bilbo. He was a quaint little fellow and she enjoyed hearing the stories of his adventures. She was amazed that although he had seen so much death, he was able to be happy and still enjoy the beauty of the world. A part of her heart wished she could forget the darkness, the death, and the anticipation of battle. She wanted to walk the gardens, talk with Arwen, read books, and listen to Bilbo and his tales. But if I do so, I would have to smother the part of me that wants to put an end to the evil that dwells in this land. The darkness does not rest.