Chapter 36: Crossed Blades

I cannot face him.

Ever since that kiss, that dance, that decision, Estelwen spent the week making cheap excuses to avoid any kind of run-in with Legolas. Though she managed to avoid him, she was not able to stop herself from glancing over her shoulder.

One time, he saw her. It was while she walked through the streets of Meduseld on a crowded afternoon. She could feel his eyes on her, but when she turned to the spot he had been, he was gone. The guilt crept in, but Estelwen ignored it. No one more will die by my enemy.

Later that evening, as the sun began to set, Estelwen lay against a tree with her swords across her lap. It felt wonderful, she realized, to rest, even though it was wrong. She looked at her swords. How much longer before I can do what I need to? A young man in armor passed by without hurry. Estelwen caught his eye as a though came to her. Everything should be mostly healed by now. "Knight, would you care to spar?"

The young man's youthful face was tense. "I saw you fight in the Battle of Helm's Deep. Your skill is far beyond mine. And..." he added in dismay, "I am not a knight."

Estelwen smiled kindly. He was certainly young, maybe seventeen, and was probably only wearing a knight's armor because his father had died. But he is strong, and the only one who looks like he has time to spare. "Please. I have been out of practice since..." she frowned, trying to think of how to word what she had gone through, "...since I was injured."

He thought for a moment, then gave a slight bow. "It would be an honor."

She nodded her thanks and strapped her sheaths to her back. She reached behind her head and touched her hair. Her hand dropped to her side. No, she did not need to tie it back, not since it had been burned and cut.

The young man unsheathed his sword. Estelwen noticed the rise and fall of his chest. She unsheathed both her swords. "I am aware that I outnumber your weapon. Remember that your enemies will often be stronger, faster, or armed better than you." She watched for his response. He needed to relax. She was not going to embarrass him or make him appear helpless. Please, I need you to be able to hit me. I need to test my strength. "What is your name?"

"Tristan, son of Saedon." He met her eyes, ready to begin.

Swords clanged instantly.

Several times, Estelwen touched his left hip with her blade, a spot he often forgot to guard. "You must not only be aware of your enemy, but of your entire body as well," she said.

Tristan, despite his first reluctance to fight, turned out to be eager to learn and eager to please. He quickly lost his fear to hit her and test the limits of his abilities. He raised his sword for a full-powered strike.

Estelwen looked up. This was the hit she had been waiting for. She could easily have darted away, but she raised her left blade instead. When his sword came crashing down, her arm jolted in pain and she let out a cry. Thanks to her years of training, she instinctively twisted in a way that redirected most of the weight of the blow to the side.

Tristan's eyes widened. "Are you alright?"

Estelwen grimaced in pain but nodded. Her left arm was useless. There was no way she could trust it during a battle.

A group of knights had apparently seen her fall, but not her face. One of them chided her. "Boy, leave the blade down! And Tristan, what are you doing? Trying to make yourself better by beating down on a helpless youth? Think better of it!"

Tristan barked, "Silence!" The knights had only seen the end of their duel, not how easily Estelwen had fought him before that. Tristan shook his head. It must have to do with her injury. He opened his mouth, but Estelwen shushed him with a vigorous shake of her head.