Chapter 21: With Final Breath

Estelwen's hand hovered over the Ring. It was a weight, a burden, but it only drew her in. Hers to bear. Hers. The Ring pulled at her soul, its smooth gold reflecting visions and feelings of success. Her stress was gone. Ecstasy delightfully filled its absence. How could I have doubted it before? The task that was meant to be mine from the beginning.

A memory flashed before her eyes. Daurion stood in front of her, frustrated, questioning her resolve. Her own voice answered, "The look in Frodo's eyes told of an inner strength that he was born with. No training could have given that to me. If he needs an extra pair of swords in this quest, then that is what I'm willing to be."

The words were clear, even when the memory disappeared in a haze. Estelwen's eyes flitted up to Frodo's. He looked concerned, but did not close his hand. With her mouth slightly agape, Estelwen dropped her arm to her side. Her mind was filled with haunting voices calling her a fool, a coward, and a fraud.

But the truth burned through them all. Estelwen could not deny it. She was not strong enough. If I were to take the Ring, I would never be able to separate from it the way Frodo is about to do. She sunk to her knees in defeat. "This cannot be."

As soon as the decisive words left her mouth, something of the Ring's pull on her lessoned. It was still there, but now, there was room for her thoughts. She knelt before Frodo just as she had done in Rivendell. She spoke slowly to show there was no trace of doubt in her mind. "Frodo, our destinies are measured not by our skills, but by our hearts. No one is more capable than you."

"Then I know what I must do." His hand closed tightly around the Ring. "I told Aragorn to watch over Sam."

Estelwen closed her eyes. It was tearing her apart, but deep inside she knew that she could not go. The draw was simply too great. Still, it was so much to bear, so much for one person to carry. "Frodo, you do not have to do this alone."

"I know, but this is my choice. Estelwen?"

"Yes?"

"Whatever the elf is going through, make sure he knows the same."

Now she was confused. "Legolas? What should he know?"

Frodo smiled patiently. "Make sure he knows that he is not alone."

"What do you mean-"

An orc bellowed nearby. She could hear it crashing through the trees, only a dozen feet away.

"Get down!" Estelwen shouted as she shoved Frodo towards the boat. She withdrew a steam of water and froze its tip to imitate that of a spear. The tip was barely formed when the monster jumped from the trees. Estelwen threw it at the massive orc and rolled out of the way before it landed on her. She tossed her hear behind her head and wished she had tied it back or braided. She ducked under a blow and grunted in frustration. Her 'spear' had not hardened enough to kill the orc. The elvish blades rang as she pulled them from their sheaths. She stabbed one sword into the orc's gut and let it remain while she swung around and sliced deep into dark flesh with the other. It roared in agony as it sunk to its knees and fell face-down.

Estelwen kicked the orc over and retrieved her other sword. Why is this one so large? These must be of a different kind then the ones we fought in the mines. It also bore a strange white handprint on its head. She remembered that these were the orcs Lord Celeborn warned Aragorn of.

"Frodo!" She turned around.

Frodo was already in the boat with his small pack.

"Stick to the shore and travel upstream before you cross. If you cross here, they will certainly see you!" Trusting that he would listen, she spun around, sheathing her swords. Her hands needed to be free for her to use her power. Three one-foot streams of water rose from the river. Their tips began to harden, but stopped midway as Estelwen felt her energy draining rapidly. Must I always be in a near-death experience to do this? Frustratedly, she dropped two but held onto one. Using her skill, she formed the desired shape and froze the whole piece. It was now an ice dagger.