Chapter 39: Secluded

King Thranduil paced the floors. His anxious steps had become a familiar sound to all in the palace. He paused and lifted his head to the ceiling. The birds had not been heard in weeks. The Mirkwood elves had neither celebrated nor laughed in months. Thranduil glanced at the floor. The scroll containing his son's message lay at the foot of his throne, thrown down in frustration. Thranduil could not understand it. Legolas was reasonable, trained. He knew that fighting alongside men was not the way to win. In the past, man had failed to destroy the One Ring. So many lives were wasted because of it – countless elves suffered deaths that amounted to nothing.

By now, Thranduil was sure that Legolas was not with the Ring-Bearer. So why has he not returned? The quest either succeeded or it failed, and Thranduil was sure it was not the former. His brow furrowed in frustration. The air felt hot around him, so he strode out of the palace. Once outside, he exhaled slowly. He used his senses to search the forest near him, to feel the slightest hint of her, his wife. She knew Legolas more than he did. That is, when she still walked upon Middle Earth. Perhaps now that he needed advice for their son, she would answer. He waited. Hours passed, and the sun began to set. The golden leaves on his crown shimmered red.

Silence.

Thranduil gazed at the fury cast reflected on the marble walkway. He clenched his jaw and turned his heel, heading back to the palace. It was a mistake to think that she would help. Time, even centuries, did not matter to her. She would never forgive him.

After entering the throne room, Thranduil sighed and picked up the scroll. He sunk into the throne, holding the most recent message from his son. He raised his right brow. A suspicion arose in his mind. There was only one time in the past that Legolas had directly defied his orders; this time must be no different. Legolas had chosen to follow his heart. And without a doubt, Thranduil knew the elleth that was responsible for his theory. A bitterness grew in him as he thought of the influence the elleth from Rivendell, the adopted daughter of Lord Elrond, likely had over his son. Thranduil only met her briefly at the Spring Festival years ago, but the impression of her still dwelt in his mind. She was quiet and nervous, Thranduil recalled smugly. But at the same time, when she met his eyes, Thranduil saw the sleeping strength of her spirit. If she had anything to do with this quest, that strength has been awakened.

"My lord, you inquired about the forest?"

Thranduil snapped out of his thoughts, glancing at the kneeling elven guard before him with surprise. He had not noticed the elf enter. "What have you to report?"

"The entire southern border line of trees has receded..."

Thranduil took a step in his direction. "By how much, Ionor?"

"By nearly two hundred paces."

Thranduil waved his hand, bidding the faithful captain of the guard to rise. "Tell the healers to leave the dead trees. Tell them instead to create a spell, if they can, that will create a line to prevent the disease from spreading."

"But my lord, this is no ordinary disease. This is evil and sorcery! What if they cannot-"

"If they cannot, then usher the elves from that area further up north for their safety."

Ionor bowed. "I will do so. Should they bring their personal belongings?"

"They must bring all they can within the time they are given."

Ionor took a step back as if to leave. But his king spoke, stopping him in his tracks.

"After they have been gathered, close the gates, and stand guard at the river. Let no one, save for my son, be allowed through." Thranduil stood up. "There will be no more trades, no more visitors. It is time we protect ourselves from all possible enemies."

In case you are wondering,

Yes, we will be visiting Mirkwood once more. I know it seems to have disappeared off the map since the beginning of this book, but I assure you it's still there, and of rather critical importance.

Any wild guesses as to what happened? Why the rift between Thranduil and Amariel, and what exactly happened to Amariel?

Can't wait to hear from you,

~Reese