Chapter 24: Earthborn's Draw

The gloom is melting from this forest, Estelwen thought as she strode alongside Gandalf. Leaves crunched underneath her boots. The air was still, amplifying the sounds of tree-dwellers and the warbling of a brook. The two stopped when they came to the stream.

Gandalf turned to her, clasping his white staff in both hands. "I would first like to apologize for the pull you felt back there. I had extended my power out, knowing that one way or another, you would have been able to find me."

"It was so strong that it was all I could feel! I could barely think. I do not know how the others were able to react as quickly as they did."

"Estelwen, the others did not feel the draw to magic as you did. You are an earthborn. Magic can be a temporary source of energy for you, as well as an amplifier of your power."

Estelwen shook her head. "You must be mistaken. Any time I have combined my energy with magic, such as in Rivendell, I was weakened."

Gandalf raised his eyebrows. "Do you remember when your elemental energy increased the intensity of one of my spells?"

Thinking back to the snowy mountain, she nodded.

"You were much more concerned with helping your friends, my dear. But the truth is, I could have sent my magic to help you instead of you releasing your energy to help me." He shook his head. "Had I known at the time, I would've done so."

The gushing water in the stream caught her ear. "Why elements, Gandalf? Why not pure magic?"

"Every element has its own relation to the functioning of the world – including fire. It's original purpose is to create. By observing you, I have realized that your 'secondary trait', so to say, is equally as unique."

Estelwen smiled softly. "I think I know what that may be."

"Good. The flow of water is a balance in itself, going to where it is needed, to lands that thirst of its presence. In the same way you are more aware to those who are in need, allowing you to be more alert to the heightened emotions of others."

Estelwen extended her hand over the water and cocked an eyebrow. "Shall we try? I do not sense another reason for bringing me near a stream, unless you wanted your white robes drenched!"

He chuckled, but quickly resumed a serious tone. "Anorath, consumed by his need for power and acceptance, abused his element's purpose. As for you, be careful that the wave of others' emotions and thoughts does not knock you over."

Closing his eyes, Gandalf raised his hand over Estelwen's hand instead of the river. Estelwen reached out to the water. Raising a small sphere, she began to harden it.

"A little larger, Estelwen! We need to challenge ourselves with something."

Bringing up a larger streak, she focused on a single impression: loyalty. With Gandalf's magic, she was thrilled to find the water lengthening and freezing, even though she held no intense feelings. Exhilaration coursed through her as she began to marvel at what was happening.

After a few moments, they hovered over their new creation. Inspired by the impression was an arrow, pure ice from shaft to tip. Gandalf motioned for Estelwen to take it. She ran her hands over the smooth surface. Parts of the shaft were different than that of an average arrow, thinner in some areas and curved more in other areas. It can still fly, even though it is ice. She turned to Gandalf in awe, knowing that she herself would never be able to accomplish such a feat.

He shrugged. "Now, I did learn a few things while I was gone for that long."

"It is incredible!" she said breathlessly.