Chapter 11: Arise and Greet

Light.

Evangeline's eyes fluttered open. She welcomed the suns golden warmth as it coursed through her veins, renewing her spirit and soothing her body like an exotic balm. She turned against the silken white sheets to see Arwen sitting at her side.

Arwen leaned over and embraced her. No explanation was needed. Arwen knew that somehow, Evangeline had responded to the magic that protected Rivendells borders. "You should not have spent so much of yourself."

"You should not have left. You know I would have come with you."

"And you think that was what I wanted?" Arwen let go. "You would have stayed behind to fight the Wraiths and insisted that I take Frodo. The best chance was for me to take him alone."

Evangeline was quiet for a minute. "You may be right, but if I had the chance to go with you, I still would have."

Arwen smiled. The birds softly trilled outside. Evangeline sighed. It was as if the darkness had left forever. But I will not be fooled, not again. "Arwen, is it true? Is the Ring here in Rivendell?"

"Yes."

A heavy weight settled on Evangeline's shoulders. She shuddered. The Dark Lord's bane was in in their midst. Something that grave and evil does not belong here.

"Frodo carried it here. He-"

"A hobbit carried it? Is he alright?"

"Yes, he is now. Gandalf waits at his side since he should awaken any minute. You both have slept for almost a week." Her blue eyes were troubled.

Something is not right. Evangeline felt her stomach sink. "Arwen?"

"I gave him my light, Evangeline, my immortality. He was passing into the Shadow. I had to save him." She looked down at the white sheets, remembering how pale Frodo had been.

"Do...do you feel any different?"

"The Shadow grows, Evangeline. Every day since I've passed my light, I can feel it." Her voice lowered. "I do not know how much more..." She stood up to leave. "Ada is holding a council concerning the Ring. If you awoke beforehand, he wished for you to be present. He has summoned the rulers of men, dwarves, and elves. Some have arrived already."

Evangeline nodded. "But what is troubling you? What are you not telling me?"

Her eyes glazed over. "Ada wants me to sail for the undying lands. With the threat of Mordor growing, he believes it will be my death to stay. She raised her head with determination. I cannot go. I will leave neither Aragorn nor you."

Throwing the covers aside, Evangeline sat up. "Arwen, I want you to promise me something."

Arwen smiled weakly. "Since when has your voice the command of an elder?" She brushed away at her eyes.

"Please listen. Ever since I came to Rivendell, you have done more for me than I could have ever imagined. You have been as a guide and a sister to me. Our fates were brought together like two vines that entwine around the same branch. But the Valar might lead us to different roads after this council." Arwen opened her mouth to speak but Evangeline carried on. "I am not asking you to forget me. I am asking you not to worry about me, and not to remain here solely for me. Decide for yourself. Decide for your heart."

From whom do her words come? Arwen marveled at weight of truth in them. "I will."

Evangeline changed from her white recovery gown into a forest green tunic that draped to just above her knees. She pulled on some black tights and slipped her feet into her brown leather boots. Then she fingered her long black hair into a single loose braid. She considered wearing her swords strapped across her back until remembering that they were at the courtyard training grounds. I will fetch them later. Besides, I must speak with Adar now.