61 ; KIBA

Eunkwang hyung immediately sat down at the keyboard and started impressing us with his skills. I sat next to Jongho on these little stools to watch my hyung play the piano. Then he asked us what we did for warmups. I started to feel a little bit like an oddball. I was mostly a rapper, but I didn't have bad vocals, but I also didn't use my vocals enough to have a song to practise and warm up to.

"Love over a thousand years." Jongho answered, and that was a super hard song to sing, the original key was super high and when Jongho started singing it, he sounded super good, and it was incredible.

"What about you Seungmin?" Eunkwang asked and Seungmin told them what he uses to warm up his voice before singing the song, "And Kiba?"

"Um, usually when I do sing, I tend to do exercises more than having a song to warm up." I said and they nodded, "But I found that using rapper's techniques to warm up your voice is pretty good for singing too."

They asked for an example, so I showed them a technique which I used to warm up my vocals before I go in the studio to either sing or rap, and we sat there in the room doing the vocal warm up for a good 5 minutes and laughing at each other.

We decided to sing in harmony to IU's Love Poem, and I was actually grateful I knew the song because that would've been awkward. Seungmin was singing the original notes, Jongho was going higher, Eunkwang was going lower and Eunkwang wanted me to try and go deep like how I sounded in a lot of SKZ songs. I nodded, preparing to go super low.

"If it sounds good, we can stick with it, but I also know Kiba can go pretty high so we can always switch it up." Eunkwang acknowledged and he started playing it on the keyboard, and we harmonised together. There were a few touch ups needed but for the first time it wasn't bad at all.

"Four people are on the white stage platform, and there's dry ice smoke underneath..."Jongho started to explain the stage production he wanted, and it wasn't a bad idea. We wanted the audience to focus on us and our vocals.

The first meeting was a success, and we all were happy with the outcome. We left and went our separate ways. Eunkwang hyung said he would arrange the songs and write our sections for us and send it in the group chat we made so we could practise for the next meeting in a few days. 

----

It was time for the second meeting for the vocal unit of Mayfly. The photo of our lines had been sent the night after our first meeting, giving us days to rehearse our sections, and lines and the harmonies. I was given the deep bits and a lot of harmonisations, and towards the end when the harmonies are big, I was given a high part adlib to do. Seungmin and I practised a lot together.

We were back in Cube entertainment, all four of us sitting on stoles in a practise room together. Eunkwang was smiling at us, asking us if we had any questions about what he wrote of the paper about how the song was to be arranged. I had no problems with my parts.

"In the paper you assigned our parts..." Jongho was struggling with a harmony part of the song, so Eunkwang took it in his hands and showed Jongho how it sounded and fixed the problem in like 2 seconds.

He then proceeded to fix a problem Seungmin had in the first verse. It was fun to watch Eunkwang teach the younger ones, and it was my first time seeing him act like a leader because he was always funny and energetic in the other Kingdom episodes. Perhaps he felt obliged to help us because we were younger and less experienced. He sorted the problems quickly.

We decided to sing the harmony from verse one, and I coughed before going deep again and we harmonised perfectly after revising our parts in the harmony. After we did it, we all stood up quickly realising how good we did as a team who hadn't been able to meet up loads due to clashing schedules.

"You guys did a perfect job!" Eunkwang hyung shouted and he huddled us into a group hug, and we jumped up and down. It was funny because I kind of towered over everyone a little.

"Wow, Kiba-ssi. What happened to your arms?" Eunkwang hyung asked as he took his hand off my shoulders and started squeezing my arms. 

"I'm trying to bulk up." I laughed loudly, and the others started touching my arms.

------

It was the 3rd meeting of the Mayfly vocal unit, and we were at the studio at the Cube Entertainment building. All 4 of us, we're warming up or vocals readying to dive into singing our arranged version of UI sunbaenim's 'Love Poem'.

Seungmin went first, he was singing in the original key first. We did multiple takes of his high adlibs and of his solo parts, and the producer arranged them well. It was then Jongho who did all his solo parts and high parts by himself, Eunkwang who followed his lead and then my part. We did pairs for the harmonising parts even if there was more than 2 people harmonising. The producer did a really great job putting it all together.

We sat down to chill as the producer did the rest of the work, and we decided to stay back to listen to it when it's completed to see if we needed to change anything when Jongho's phone started ringing. I was lying on top of the sofa, behind everyone and Seungmin was sitting on the end.

"Hello?" It was Wooyoung calling, I could tell immediately.

"Wooyoung-ah!" Eunkwang replied back with a smile.

"Are you practising?" Wooyoung asked and I smiled at my hyungs.

"We're recording!" Eunkwang wanted to talk to everyone, and the 3 of us watched with a smile, waiting to hear what's happening with the dance unit.

"Peniel brought us ice-cream, so we're going to enjoy it." Wooyoung boasted, and I laughed loudly as did Eunkwang, "Yeah, he bought expensive ones, and he even bought it for the staff!"

"DONT LIE!" Eunkwang shouted down the phone and I laughed loudly, and I had to grab Seungmin's hand because I was about to fall off the top of the sofa.

"It's real! Even the cameraman is having ice-cream!"

"That's the companies credit card!" Eunkwang shouted, and I could feel my stomach tightening as I laughed silently behind Eunkwang.

I laughed as Peniel defended himself and started talking about how he wanted to be a good leader because Eunkwang never buys BTOB ice-cream as their leader. 

"Are you doing well?" We asked them.

"I think we'll finish learning the choreography today." Peniel said and we were surprised with how quick they had learned it and put it into practise, we thought it would take the longest for the dance unit, but they had been working really fast.

I looked at Seungmin, his hand was still in mine to keep me steady on the top of the sofa. He was smiling and laughing at the conversation we were having through the phone.

"Hyungs and I.N-ah, have fun and don't get hurt!" I shouted down the phone, which made me slip off the top of the sofa and crash into Eunkwang and Jongho's backs, "Saranghaeyo!"

"We love you Kiba-ssi!" Wooyoung shouted before we did the Mayfly Chant together and then we hung up. I shuffled around and lay squished on the sofa behind Eunkwang and Jongho.

"I will order ice cream first." Eunkwang said as he picked up his phone and I burst out laughing. He really couldn't get over the fact Peniel ordered like 20 ice-creams for people.

I love Mayfly.