Chapter Twenty-Two

I heard mixed chatter, mainly consisting of Italian so, it went over my head

I heard mixed chatter, mainly consisting of Italian so, it went over my head. I clutched the ends of my chair in apprehension.

Nikolai came back and I jumped in my seat. He tugged the edges of his jacket back and tucked a gun into the back of his pants. I looked him up and down and then all around him, checking if he had any blood on him.

He noticed my stare and shook his head. "Nothing happened."

I visibly relaxed and smiled. I looked down at the menu and then back at him. "I don't know what to order"

He lifted a shoulder, "Anything you want"

I shook my head and slid the menu toward him. "I don't know, order for us"

He seemed amused; he picked up the menu and ordered a bunch of different dishes I have never heard of. I looked around the fancy restaurant and noticed how everyone in the room seemed afraid of Nikolai. His men were standing all around the room in nothing but black attires.

And here I sat in front of him, even though he punished me just a few days ago, I still wasn't afraid of him that much.

I know he gave me my parent's ashes and brought me out for dinner because he felt bad for what he did to me and this was his way of saying sorry. The thought made me smile.

"Is this your way of saying sorry?" I asked with a smile.

"I don't say sorry..." he answered.

My smile widened because this time he didn't say that I deserved it, "So, you decided to show me how sorry you are."

"I'm beginning to think that sending you to college was a bad idea, you were so easy to handle when you knew almost nothing" the amusement in his voice sent strange sensations to my stomach.

I squinted my eyes. "I'm not stupid!"

"I never said you were"

I rolled my eyes and looked around at the beautiful scenery. "I want to learn how to use a gun," I told him.

"Why?"

"Because I'm afraid of it and I don't want to be afraid of anything. It makes me feel... weak"

He nodded. "I'll teach you but right now, let's talk," his tone suddenly went ice cold.

"About what?"

He slid his tongue across his lower lip and my eyes followed it, his eyes still on me. "I realized I never told you anything about La mia famiglia, about Cosa Nostra. You were thrown into this world without knowing anything about it. It's time you understand it."

The waiter came back with our food, served us, and then asked Nikolai if we wanted anything else but he dismissed the waiter with a wave of his hand.

"What were you saying?" I asked.