Chapter Forty-Eight

I awakened with a monster headache

I awakened with a monster headache. I groaned and leaned against the headboard for a few minutes. It was still dark outside, I glanced at the clock and it read three a.m.

My throat was incredibly parched, I tossed aside the duvet and got off the bed. I hadn't changed into my nightwear earlier, I went to the bathroom, freshened up, and changed into a pair of a silk cami top and shorts.

I ran my fingers through my hair as I went down the stairs. The whole mansion was dark, it was late at night and all the lights were switched off.

I went closer to the kitchen door and heard a tap running. Furrowing my eyebrows, I walked inside only to see the person I did not want to see under any circumstances.

He was a liar and a manipulator. I had no idea why would he stage something like that but I was done being Nikolai's puppet.

He was washing off his hands and then I noticed the red color sprayed over his white shirt. The cuffs of his shirt were rolled up but I could see that they were soaked in blood too at some point.

"Are you just gonna stand there and stare at me?" he asked.

I let go of the breath I was holding in and headed straight toward the refrigerator. I opened it and pulled out a bottle of water. I unscrewed the cap aggressively, letting him know that I don't want to talk to him, and took huge gulps of water. I slammed the water bottle on the countertop.

"Don't waste it on the poor bottle. We could use this anger in the morning when we box," he said oh-so-casually.

It annoyed me, it frustrated me how he could act so normal after pulling that engagement stunt on me. Does he have no conscience? A sense of right and wrong? Doesn't he feel guilt? Like ever? What the hell was he made of? Stone? He was an emotionless beast. His father was right about him, he is cold and doesn't care about anyone but himself. He doesn't care how many people he hurts and why would he? He is the king of the dark world. He freaking rules the dark world with an iron fist and everyone just bends to his will.

"You really think I'd box with you again?!" I snapped at him.

He finally turned the tap off and turned to face me. The front of his white shirt looked like something straight out of a horror movie. A big splatter of blood stared back at me. It looked like he came from a butcher's shop. I didn't want to know to whom that blood belonged.

My eyes slowly trailed up and met with his eyes. They were dark, monstrous, and dripping with cruelty. Nikolai wasn't here, it was Don Niko. It was the monster that lives inside of him. Don Niko was a thousand times worse than Nikolai, they were two different people in one body, and no one can convince me otherwise.

He crossed his arms over his chest and a devious smile pulled on his lips as he leaned his butt against the counter. "It's cute that you think you have a choice."