Chapter Eighty-One

I lay in my bed, too sore, too tired to move

I lay in my bed, too sore, too tired to move. I replayed Nikolai's words again and again but I still couldn't make sense of them.

“It was fun while it lasted...”

It's like he stabbed me straight in the heart and as if it wasn't enough, he viciously twisted the blade.

A marriage can't end just because he said so. What is wrong with him? I could feel it in his body language last night, he was off, and something about him was closed off. There is something that he isn't telling me. I can feel it.

It's not something I said, no, it's way too small of a matter for him to act this way.

There must be something else... something big.

My alarm went off and I got startled out of my thoughts, I frowned as I looked at the time. I didn't sleep a wink the whole night. After Nikolai left, I kept thinking about him, where I went wrong, where we went wrong, and what could have possibly happened for him to act this way.

I lazily got out of bed to get ready for college. I was naked already, I didn't bother to wear clothes again last night. I smelled like him, he was all over me, and every part of my body smelled like his expensive cologne.

I set the shower setting too hot and I stepped under it. Running my fingers through my hair, washing myself off, washing him off. After I was done, I dried myself off and put on a simple full sleeves shirt and jeans. I sat before the vanity mirror and pulled out a concealer.

I had to search on the internet for how to cover up love bites. I put on the concealer that matched my skin tone and covered up Nikolai's marks.

I grabbed my bag and went downstairs. Nikolai was standing right outside the front door, I stopped when I saw him.

Something unwanted unfurled in my chest, I almost wanted to march up to him and slap him across his face.

He glanced at me, but no expressions crossed his face. He seemed so impassive and cold. I let out a breath and then looked for Marco.

"Did you eat something? The maids said that you didn't eat breakfast yesterday as well. You barely ate last night at dinner."

"I thought our marriage was over?" I asked, glancing at him.

"I didn't say that our marriage was over, I said—"

"Same thing, Nikolai. I have no idea why you are doing all this. It doesn't even make any sense," I snapped at him.

I saw Marco's Maybach and immediately walked to it. I settled in the back and Marco smiled at me. We drove to college, making occasional small talk.  He wasn't a big talker but at least he had warmed up to me enough to make a conversation with me.

"You have the weirdest taste in music," I said to him as some heavy metal song played through the speakers.

"This is the real music, the shit you listen to is trash," he replied, in his monotone voice.