Chapter Eighty-Eight

I was dressed up, my hair made perfectly, and my bag was resting beside me on the bed

I was dressed up, my hair made perfectly, and my bag was resting beside me on the bed. I stared at myself in the mirror and saw my hollow eyes.

I passed out last night when Nikolai injected me with something and I woke up in my bed at home.

I didn't want to think about what happened last night. I didn't want to dwell on it. I had made up my mind.

It was over.

I was done.

The face of Nikolai I saw last night, I never want to see it again. There was a monster behind those eyes, a monster he keeps under wraps in public. The monster that was glaring into my soul last night, the monster that sat over me, restrained me. I never wanted to see that monster again.

I shook my head and pulled out a notebook from my bag. I ripped a page out of the notebook and wrote a note.

After I was done, I placed my cell phone over it, leaving everything on my bed. I grabbed my bag and looked around the room.

Tears brimmed at the corner of my eyes and I immediately went to the mirror, wiping the corner of my eyes, I smiled at myself. I needed to sell it, I needed to make everyone here believe that I was completely fine.

I can't be stupid, not right now...

These men...

All these men around me were professional murderers, cheaters, rapists, killers, and torturers, they weren't normal men. They were animals and to trick an animal you have to become an animal. You have to be an evil, immoral person to play the same game as these men.

I laughed quite fakely in the mirror, channeling the bubbly, happy, and ignorant Evangeline.

I looked around the room one last time before I went downstairs. I went to the dining room, I greeted the maids all around me.

I told them what I'd like to have for breakfast, as usual, everything is fine, everything is normal. They served me breakfast and I ate it silently, happily...

I finished up my breakfast and slung my bag over my shoulder. I strolled outside and the first person I saw was Lorenzo; leaning against the wall and smoking a cigarette.

“The Lorenzo whom you have started to adore so much was the one that shot Elijah and Mary to death. He said it was the best night of his life. There was just so much blood. He enjoyed it, he relished it, he tasted your mother's blood; he told me she tasted divine... Much like her daughter”

Nikolai's words resounded in my head and then I got a flashback of the conversation Lorenzo and I had a few days ago when we went for a walk.

"Can I ask you a question, Mrs. Costello?"

"Ask away..."

"The night your parents were murdered, where were you?"

"Where was I?"