Chapter Thirty-Six

For the past hour, I have lain in my bed trying to make sense of what happened between Scott and me

For the past hour, I have lain in my bed trying to make sense of what happened between Scott and me. Was it all there was to his friendship? Is that what he wanted all along? I couldn't believe it, I refused to believe that it was the only thing Scott wanted, from the past few weeks our relationship had been nothing but platonic. He never showed any interest in me, he treated me like you would treat your best friend.

I picked up my cell phone from the nightstand and scrolled to his number. I contemplated if I should call him or not.

As I was about to click on his number, a loud clattering sound from downstairs fell on my ears. I shot up from my bed, there was no one else in the house except for me. All of the household staff had gone home, maybe it was one of the guards.

I swallowed as a feeling of unease crept up, I felt heavy footsteps coming upstairs. This doesn't feel right. Scared out of my wits, I clicked on Scott's number, it rang and rang but he didn't pick up. I again tried calling him but stopped as I saw a shadow from underneath my bedroom door.

I slid under the sheets, covering myself from head to toe. The darkness in the room was thick and heavy, the only light that was coming into the room was the light from the hallway from underneath the door.

My hand went back to my cell phone, I set my screen brightness to the lowest setting as I tried to call Scott again. Tears spilled from my eyes as he declined my call.

From under the sheets, I heard my bedroom door creak open. I stifle a whimper and lay completely still. Was the person who killed my parents here to finish the job?

With a trembling finger, I scrolled up and clicked on Nikolai's number. It rang once, twice until someone pulled the covers off of me and my cell phone fell from my hand. I couldn't see anything in the dark, someone had turned off the hallway light, leaving nothing but darkness all around me but still in this darkness I was able to make out the shape of the body. A menacing black shadow hovered over me standing beside my bed.

Before I could scream or call for help, a big, calloused hand landed over my mouth, and then I felt a heavy body straddling me, clasping my mouth shut, I couldn't scream, I couldn't move. I squirmed under the weight. Tears spilled on the sides of my cheeks landing on the bed. I tried to push them off but they held my hand and placed it underneath their knees on either side of me. 

All of my crying for help got muffled by his large hand. A blurry face unfamiliar face leaned closer to me, grinning like he had won some kind of prize. His terrifying expression made me cry even harder.

Slowly, he placed a finger on his lips. "Shhh..."

My heart was pounding so hard that I felt it will burst out of my chest. My lungs constricted, and I was hardly breathing at all. The beast holding me captive underneath him had all the control of my body. Shadows and echoes played on my senses warping shapes and sounds in the dark. Fear crippled me, freezing every muscle of my body.