Chapter 36

The disciple whispered a few comforting words to Jiang Luo, who then shelved his melancholy and forced a strong smile for this disciple, saying, "I'm alright."

His expression, brimming with suppressed sorrow yet fragile and beautiful, caught the disciple's attention. Squinting, the disciple offered Jiang Luo a handkerchief, gently saying, "The dead cannot be brought back to life."

Just then, Feng Li called out, "Jiang Luo."

Taking the handkerchief from the disciple, Jiang Luo wiped away the tears that weren't there, "Thank you, senior brother. And you are?"

"Just call me Qiao, senior brother," the disciple replied.

After thanking Senior Brother Qiao, Jiang Luo approached Feng Li, "Mr. Feng."

Feng Li, observing the lingering sadness in his expression, furrowed his handsome brows and directly asked, "Would you like to take me as your master?"

To become the disciple of Feng Li?

Of course, Jiang Luo wanted that!

In the original story, if the protagonist became his master, it would undoubtedly be the ultimate lifesaver. Jiang Luo also understood why Chen Pi brought him to the Celestial Master's Mansion, yet he did not immediately agree, "Mr. Feng, I already have a master."

Chen Pi hurriedly said, "It's okay, don't worry about your master. You've grown up without much teaching from him; he really hasn't fulfilled his duties as a master. The Celestial Master is actually your grandmaster. With his guidance, your master would be relieved and happy for you."

Feng Li waited quietly for Chen Pi to finish speaking.

Jiang Luo looked troubled, and Chen Pi, fearing he would refuse, whispered several more persuasions. Feng Li had never before offered to take a disciple who then hesitated; he couldn't quite describe his feelings, a mix of surprise and novelty.

After a moment, Jiang Luo finally nodded, "Alright, I will take Mr. Feng as my master."

The process of taking a master could be as complex or as simple as one made it. Becoming a disciple of the Celestial Master wasn't much different from the usual way, and following others' cues, Jiang Luo performed the steps, eventually pouring a cup of tea for Feng Li as a gesture of respect.

Feng Li sipped the tea lightly, and just like that, the master-disciple relationship was established.

Once the others had left, Feng Li took Jiang Luo to his study, "You should already know the location of the third challenge."

Jiang Luo nodded, "It's in Xiangxi."

Feng Li sat down and said, "I divined your fortune yesterday, and the omens were very inauspicious."

Jiang Luo's smile froze.

Feng Li's voice was calm, as if what he had just said was nothing alarming, "For the third challenge, you'll be in great danger. Besides going to school, you need to spend the rest of your time at the Feng residence, working hard to enhance your abilities."

Jiang Luo nodded decisively, "I understand."

Feng Li continued, "You must finish all the books on your left within ten days."

Turning his head to the left, Jiang Luo saw an entire bookshelf filled with books, from "The Classic of Mountains and Seas" to "The I Ching," from "The Qingwu Scriptures" to "The Book of Burial," and several thick volumes of "Local Customs and Practices." The shelf looked to weigh at least several dozens of pounds.

"...Finish reading in ten days?" Jiang Luo was incredulous.

Feng Li nodded without changing his expression, "Start reading now."