Chapter 95

Lisa was a lovely little girl, though her fear was more of confusion and incomprehension. She didn't understand why her father had changed into what he had become.

Jiang Luo casually asked, "Lisa, since when did your father start acting wrongly?"

"It's been a long time," Lisa whispered softly. "Not long after Mom fell into the water, Dad began to act strangely."

She rubbed her head on her sleeve, saying, "Lisa misses Mom and the way Dad used to be."

Jiang Luo patted her back gently, curious, "How did you come to save me there?"

"I hide there every night," Lisa obediently replied. "Because sometimes I can save people there. They don't know how to hide, but Lisa does. Whenever Dad becomes scary, he can't see with his eyes, he can only smell Lisa's scent, hear Lisa's voice. As long as we don't make a sound, cover the scent, Dad and the others won't find us."

"Have you saved many people before?"

Lisa's expression dimmed, and she nodded silently.

Jiang Luo understood the fate of those people, yet he still asked, "What happened to them afterward?"

A little girl, managing to survive on a ship full of monsters, knowing how to hide and save people. This wasn't something simple, something adults couldn't do, let alone a child?

Jiang Luo was somewhat skeptical of Lisa.

"They all disappeared," Lisa hugged herself tightly. "I told them to run away quickly, but they were found and captured... Lisa wanted to save them, but Lisa couldn't get in."

"Lisa is a good child," Jiang Luo said softly. "Are there many monsters like this on the ship?"

Lisa replied with some fear, "Many, many... They look normal during the day, but at night they turn into something else, like taking off their normal appearance. They also drool looking at Lisa."

"But they haven't eaten Lisa, and I haven't seen any other children on the ship... Every time someone boards the ship, I told several adults about this, but they didn't believe me."

Jiang Luo pondered thoughtfully.

When Ge Zhu boarded the Angonise, he noticed that there were no children among the crowd.

If the crew members were monsters disguised by blood eels, then it made sense. Blood eel eggs are extremely difficult to survive, but they can be nurtured in the human body, and the female blood eels that are successfully nurtured possess some miraculous functions, such as rejuvenating people and extending their lifespan.

Thus, the crew and the wealthy collaborated: the wealthy would bring civilians on board, and the crew would use the civilians' bodies as vessels to sell the surviving female eels to the wealthy, who would then bring more civilians on board the next time they sailed.

Perhaps because children's bodies are not suitable as vessels, or because it's difficult for blood eels to reproduce, they do not target the offspring of other races, which is why Lisa has survived until now.

Jiang Luo ruffled Lisa's hair, saying, "The vast majority of people in the world live in ignorance. Unless the truth is put right in front of them, they won't believe it."

Just like the former Jiang Luo, he would never have believed in the existence of mermaid monsters hiding beneath human skins.

Jiang Luo was covered in slime, which was extremely uncomfortable for him, who had a slight obsession with cleanliness. He had endured it during the crisis, but now that the crisis was over, he at least wanted to wash his hands and face.