Chapter 32: True Colors

I sit down with my ten plates of food across from Fou, waiting for her to begin as she pokes at her salad. It didn't really occur to me that she ate, considering that she isn't really a human, but she said that she has to eat like a normal person would to keep herself running, but she can only have things that are fruits or vegetables.

She sighs lightly before beginning, "Okay, so about a decade ago, the Second Exorcist Program was still being used, and Kanda and Alma were 'born'. They were the only Second Exorcists that survived and didn't become Fallen Ones, even though Alma became an akuma, and obviously many experiments were performed on them.

"I was one of the first people Kanda ever met after he was 'born' and he trusted me at that time, believe it or not. Whenever he wasn't in the experiments or with Alma, he was almost always with me, training, eating, or even just talking. Amazing that he was so talkative when he was younger. He had the mind of a twenty-five year old, but he still had so many questions, and he had forgotten everything to do with the Order so I was the one to explain it to him.

"I can still remember the day that he started to hate me like it was yesterday. The day before he was supposed to synchronize with Mugen, he was terrified that something bad would happen, and I told him that I would be there, that I wouldn't let anything happen. I told him I would protect him until someone stopped my program.

"The next day, he synchronized perfectly with Mugen, but the science division wanted to do another experiment too soon afterwards and they had to tie him down to keep him from hurting someone. I tried to help, I really did, but one of them hacked into my program and even though they weren't supposed to, they rewrote it to order-and-obey instead of freewill.

"I couldn't move as they restrained Kanda to the bed and put him in the experiment room."

I watched a tear slip down her cheek as she continued, her voice cracking, "I screamed on the inside, telling him it was okay and that I couldn't move, that I wasn't just standing there, but I couldn't speak either. I could only speak unless spoken to.

"I-I remember him crying and screaming at them to let him go, but they never listened. As they took him into the room, he screamed at me that I promised to protect him, that I had lied and he cried that he hated me over and over.

"After that, Bak's father found out about my program being hacked, but there was nothing he could do to make Kanda forgive me. The scientist that did it was fired on the spot, and Bak's father changed my program again so I could move and speak freely. The first thing I did was go find Kanda and it took almost three hours to find him in the woods meditating. I thought at the time that he would forgive me because the woods was our place, but when I got there, he wouldn't even let me explain. He said exactly, 'You aren't fit to be called anything to do with human because you betrayed me. You promised that you would protect me, but you just stood there. I screamed for you to help me! I screamed and begged and you did nothing! I hate you, Fou, you hear me?! I hate you and I wish we never met!'"

My food was long gone, and I had sat beside her, my hand resting on her bare shoulder. There wasn't anything I could say to comfort her, but instead I wrapped my arms around her, bring her to me as she cried. As she did this, she whispered, "I need you to tell him. You have to tell him for me so he won't hate me anymore. Please, Allen."

I nod, "Yes, I will, don't worry."

"Thank you," she cried, holding me tighter. We were definitely making a scene, but neither of us cared.

After that, we finished eating and headed back. I was surprised to hear that Fou was staying in my old room since it was relatively close to the new one and I knew where it was. She insisted that I come in for a minute, and when I did she gave me a gift. A late Christmas\birthday gift, but I wasn't allowed to open it until I got to my room. Fou also said that seven was the lucky number. Don't ask because I have no clue what she meant by it.