fourteen

Hwang Hyunjin made his way down the corridor, purpose in his steps.

Urgency was tugging at his heels as he continued towards his destination.
After all, it was a life and death matter.

Over a week ago, a cute new employee of his had noticed something that led to Hyunjin making the connection that perhaps Han Jisung was, in fact, somehow still alive.

Now, if they'd been receiving the correct feed, Jisung was on the move.

It was up to Hyunjin and his mentor to figure out where to and what for.

Bursting into Mr. Kim's office, Hyunjin announced his arrival.

Kim Woojin smiled at him warmly from the seat behind his desk. He was head of all Mars expeditions, and Hyunjin was supposed to take over his spot, should he ever decide to leave NASA.

“What have you got for me today, Hyunjinnie?”

“Hey! Hyung, I thought I told you to stop calling me that! It's not professional. I need to be intimidating, not 'hyunjinnie.’” He pouted, folding his arms.

“Pfft yeah but I'm older and your friend and in charge of your paycheck sO I don't really care.”

“Ugh fine. Anyway, there's news about Jisung.”

At hearing this, Woojin immediately perked up.

“But, before you get too happy, just know that I can't figure it out.”

Woojin frowned, then beckoned for Hyunjin to bring the files he was holding closer. “That's what I'm here for. Give them to me.”

Hyunjin handed over the papers, watching with wide eyes as the other studied them closely.

After a few moments, he spun his chair around and searched for something. Spotting what he needed, a map of Mars, he quickly uncapped a pen and started drawing hasty but precise lines, as though connecting dots.

As soon as he was done, Woojin grabbed the images of Jisung's journey and compared them to his drawing.

Smiling in contentment, he held them both up, side by side.

“I know where he's going.”

Hyunjin looked at his mentor, beyond confused. “Where?”

Woojin sighed, still smiling.

“This.” He said, pointing at the thing he drew on the Mars map, “Is the path from the current HAB to an old satellite receptor that landed there years ago. Pathfinder.”

Hyunjin shook his head sadly, slumping slightly.
"How come I didn't know that?"

"All in good time, Jinnie. Now look at the satellite images."

They both turned their heads to look at the pictures of Jisung's mini trip. The two paths we're almost exactly the same.

Hyunjin gaped, open mouthed, at them.

The young astronaut was an actual genius.

He knew that if he got his hands on that satellite, they would be able to communicate.

Jisung was trying to contact NASA.

~~~~

[

Sol 39]|

“Almost there, Sojourner.” Jisung shook his head. “I can't believe I'm talking to a rover. Well, a Rover and a camera. Don't know which is worse.”

It was silent for a few moments.

On the outside it must have looked like Jisung was focused on driving, like he should've been, but that was not the case. He was lost in thought. The small camera in the upper right corner of the rover was focused on him as he spoke.

“I've been thinking that if I get in contact with NASA…. well, let me rephrase. If they haven't already, they'll form a team of scientists to work on ways to get me off of here.. once I get a message through to them.”

Another pause.

“I want Minho to be part of that group. It was really stupid of me to break up with him, I know. But that's not why I want him on the team. He's one of the best scientists at NASA, and if I'm gonna let anyone boss me around, it's him.”

A smile crossed his face at this, eyes never leaving the path ahead of him.

The good old days seemed so far away, but he knew that Minho still had a good heart.
Knew that Minho was his best chance at getting off the godforsaken planet.

He could only hope that his ex boyfriend would be willing to try and save him.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Sorry if this is trash.

It's unrelated, but my fingers are freezing as I type this (at the skating rink, on the sidelines, pretending to not be awkward and alone-)

Also uwu I got a lot of positive responses on the last chapter,,, so thank youuu 💜💜💜

Anyways
Thanku
bai