150

"I'm going to let the dogs out," Haylee kissed Jonah's cheek.

"Okay," he kissed her cheek, "I love you."

Haylee smiled and kissed him quickly before hopping out of bed. It was their typical morning routine as long as Jonah was home. She pulled on her robe and walked down the stairs.

Usually when she got downstairs, all the dogs were waiting by the door. She would let them out and then fill their food and water bowls. However, it was different this morning. None of the dogs were by the door. Instead they were all in the game room. Nova was curled up around Charlee and Nala while Leo has his head on Nova's back. Nova started whimpering when she saw Haylee.

"What's wrong, girl?" Haylee asked before she let out a low howl.

"You're gonna wake Charlee, Nova," Haylee kneeled sown and went to pet Charlee.

Her heart stopped when she touched Charlee. His fur was almost ice cold. She laid a hand on his back and waited for him to breath. Nothing happened. She stood up and covered her mouth. Tears filled her eyes. She ran out the room back upstairs. She burst through the doorway of their bedroom breathing hard with tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Haylee? What's wrong?" Jonah immediately got out of bed and walked over to her.

"Jonah, Charlee died," she revealed quietly.

"What?! Where is he?"

"Game room."

Jonah tore away and down the stairs. Haylee followed behind him as quickly as she could. When she got back to the game room, Jonah was kneeling down in front of all the dogs. Nova was still whimpering and howling.

"You're right," Jonah turned to face her with tears streaming down his face.

"I'm so sorry," she knelt down next to him and hugged his arm.

"I knew what I was getting into when I adopted an old dog from the shelter," Jonah mumbled, "I had five fantastic years with him."

"I'm so sorry," Haylee repeated and kissed his cheek.

"I know. Come on, let's get him to the vet," Jonah stood up.

"Okay."

Haylee stood up and wrapped her arms around Jonah's torso. He hugged her back tightly and played with the ends of her hair. His body shook as he cried. Haylee knew he loved their dogs, but he had a special soft spot for Charlee. He was the first dog Jonah adopted from the shelter. Haylee knew this just had to be tearing Jonah apart.

"Come on," he mumbled and kissed her forehead.

Haylee softly pressed her lips to his and pulled herself as close to him as possible. He held her tightly to his chest as they slowly kissed. He pulled away and laid his cheek on top of her head. Haylee rubbed his back before taking his hand.

"I'm so sorry, Jo."

"Thank you. Come on, let's go get ready."

jonaharenado made a post

➡️

Liked by sfgiants paigenicole2 and thousands of others

jonaharenado My sweet dog Charlee has passed over the rainbow bridge. Charlee was the first dog I ever adopted. He has been by my side for the last five years. He had such a big personality for a little dog. He always put a smile on my face, even when I was having a bad day. Charlee was so loved, and I'm so glad he got to see our new house and get to play in a big backyard with Nova, Nala, and Leo. Every morning Charlee and Leo would lay out and enjoy those crisp San Fran mornings while Nala and Nova took a swim. I'm going to miss him so much, but I know I will see him again. Love you, Char.

👥 hayleeserna sfgiants

Comments have been limited

hayleeserna Sweet baby Charlee 😔 we're gonna miss you so much 💔

milliemafooty Oh no! I'm so sorry!

lauraarenado Charlee 💔

cousy_arenado Oh Charlee 💔