Chapter Four: We Are Not Friends

W E  A R E  N O T  F R I E N D S

Thomas

Several pairs of thirty, lusting eyes watch me as I saunter down the long path of campus, heading over to where I usually meet everyone. Groups of girls giggle and smile as I pass them, nodding to a few that briefly catch my attention and peak my interest.

I feel like I'm the star in my own music video or movie, my hands plugged in my pockets, the sun beating down on me.

I spot Wesley stood on his own, his head stuck in the screen of his phone, his dark hair is braided into neat cornrows. He's got a slight smile on his face, obviously enjoying whoever he's texting.

"Hey man." I approach him. He lights up, flashing me a white teethed grin. He puts his phone in his back pocket and clasps my hand, greeting me.

"Hey. How are you doing man?"

"Good. Things are good." I respond. "Are you coming out with us tonight?"

"Sure am, man." We make room as Charlie bustles up and joins us.

Instantly, Charlie steers the conversation, catering it to whatever he wants it to be. I half listen to him. I'll give him credit – he's amusing to watch.

Eventually, the others gather around after finding where we are. After a few minutes of everyone standing around, I get a tap on my back. It's not unusual for me to get approached by girls but I'm surprised when I turn and it's Isabelle. Somehow we didn't see each other at all this morning.

I'm stung by the haunting image of those marks on her body when I see at her. It makes my stomach jolt but I keep my composure in front of her.

She looks up at me with her brown eyes that appear less tired than the previous day. She must've slept well in my spare room. She's wearing clothes that are oversized but she still manages to make it look stylish.

"Hey, so I got a new cell phone and I thought it might be a good idea to give you my number-." She starts talking, digging it out of her bag.

My face flushes with embarrassment. I take a few steps away from the group, forcing her along with me. Her face wobbles with concern as she's rushed back.

"No." I quickly think of something to say to avoid suspicion from the others. "I don't give my number out to just anybody." I increase the volume of my voice so the others can hear.

I don't want to be seen with her. I don't want people to know that we know each other. She frowns, totally confused. Her attention moves over my shoulder, looking back at my friends.

"Oh." She returns to me, her face dead straight and severely unimpressed. "I see what's happening."

I don't have anything else to say to her, not here and not now so I just straighten up. Her narrowed eyes search mine, left to right, waiting for a response. I don't give her one.

Irritated, she shakes her head and walks away. I sigh to myself, feeling embarrassed more than I do guilty. After a moment, I nonchalantly join the rest of the group.

"Yo Tom, who was that?" Wesley questions as I shift my weight.

"No idea." I shrug. "Just some girl trying to get my number, I guess."

"Ballsey." He credits her and then, thankfully, returns back to whatever they were talking about.

Eventually, we all break apart, separately going to class. On my way, I wince at the sight of Harriet who is making a straight line to come and see me. She looks different in the natural light - less attractive. But that also might have something to do with being sober.