Chapter Twenty Three : Strike

S T R I K E

Isabelle

I groan, slamming my hand down on my phone that's blaring out my alarm. Once I've managed to stop it, I duck back down into the covers, nestling into their warmth. I edge over to Thomas but the space is empty beside me. I frown, cocking my head up and that's when I notice the sound of whistling and singing coming from the bathroom next door.

I smile to myself. He seems to be in a good mood despite his singing voice being a little rough.

I bask in his rich scent that lingers on the sheets for a minute before getting up and poking my head around into the bathroom. He's brushing his teeth, snapping his fingers together to a steady beat, a towel around his waist. I rest my head against the frame and clear my throat. He puts his hand on his bare chest, jumping a little. He tries to speak but his toothbrush and mouthful of toothpaste muffles his voice.

"Try again?" I lift my head. He spits in the sink, rinsing his brush off.

"Did I wake you?" He questions.

"No." I shake my head. He wipes his mouth on another towel. "I've got to be up for class anyway."

"Same. We can go in together if you want?" I nod in response. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah I did. Really well."

"I could tell." He grins. "You snore." My jaw drops at the audacity.

"No I don't." I put my hands on my hips.

"How would you know, you're asleep!" He struts closer to me.

"I do not snore!" He laughs, opening him arms out to embrace me. "No. You're all wet!" I step back to avoid his hug.

"Hey!" He exclaims, offended. "You didn't hear me complaining last night did you?" He wiggles his eyebrows.

"Shut up." My cheeks burn and I use my flat palm on his muscular peck to shove him back. "You are the most annoying."

"Maybe. But you love it." He teases.

"Mmhm." I return, unimpressed.

"Right, unless you're planning on staying you've got three seconds before I'm getting naked." I laugh and he starts to unravel his towel. "Three-."

"Okay! I'm going."

**

Thomas parks up and I get out of his car, bracing the chilled breeze of the day. The sun is out but the wind is cold enough to make the tip of your nose go pink. We walk up the campus together. He's got a spring in his step, his chin lifted up and a grin of his face. He looks more handsome than ever.

"You're in a good mood this morning." I comment. He takes my hand, swinging it with every step.

"I'm happy." He knocks into me, gently. My throat constricts as I notice a few different sets of eyes on them, all scowling and confused.

"People are staring at us." I speak out of the corner of my mouth.

"You. I think they're looking at you." He returns.

"What?" I glance around, seeing all the side eye from several angry looking girls. "They look like they want me dead." He pulls me closer into his side, further encouraging the death stares. "I don't get it."

"They're probably jealous. I mean..." He starts smirking, flicking his hair. "You are walking hand in hand with the King." He jokes.

"Wow. I'm surprised you were able to fit in your car with an ego that big." I shake my head at him.