Chapter Thirty Five : Escape Room

E S C A P E   R O O M

Thomas

My apartment is swarmed with strangers in suits. The contact that Mom sent me was for private security. They've come over to check everything out in the apartment and set up some safety measures.

In the kitchen, I'm sat opposite a middle aged bald man with a dark beard that's mixed with white and grey hairs. David Wayne, he's a private investigator that has known Mom for years . He's got a long, pale face with a bushy eyebrows that hang over a kind and comforting set of eyes.

"She said she wanted to leave and when I caught her she came back to bed. In the morning, when I woke up she wasn't here. I'd assumed she'd gone to class or work. It's not like her to go somewhere without letting me know if I wasn't already aware." I rub my eyes as he intently listens. "It's hardly been twenty-four hours yet so I know it's too early to say she's missing but something isn't right."

"Right. We will definitely make a start but it'll take time so you'll have to be patient." David explains.

"I don't know how long I can around and wait for." I sigh.

"I get that. I really do but it's not as simple as getting the answers straight away. I promise we'll work as quickly as we can."

"I think it'll be worth looking into her ex-boyfriend." I jump in and he prepares to write what I'm about to say down. "His name is Nate. I don't know his last name or his address or anything about him other than that he's the scum of the earth ex-boyfriend of Isabelle. He's dangerous. My best friend got jumped by these guys that I think Nate is friends with. It's too much of a coincidence."

"Okay. If you can give me any and all details you have for Isabelle that would be really helpful."

"Yeah of course." I give him all of the information he asks for before, Aaron, the head of security comes in with the rest of the team behind him. Aaron is a tall and strong guy who looks intimidating but is pretty friendly.

"A camera has been set up for your balcony as well as on the front door." I nod to them in thanks.

"I think I've got everything I need for the moment." David stands up and brushes himself off. "I'll be in touch. Try not to worry in the meantime, we'll handle everything from now on." We shake hands and I see them all to the door as they file out to leave.

I'm left in the apartment all by myself. It feels like it's been the longest time since I've been on my own here, months in fact. The whole place feels empty without her presence lingering around. I lock everything up before getting ready for bed.

The sick feeling in me hasn't left me at any point since it started. I hope it'll wash out of me when I have a shower but it doesn't. After drying off, I sigh before slumping back into bed. I hold my phone up in front of me and dial her number.

Yet again it doesn't go through. My shoulders drop and I feel like I could cry out of fear and frustration and worry but I keep myself held tightly together. I decide to try and send her another text, along with the other dozens I've sent during the day.

Is. Just let me know you're okay. Please.

I have absolutely no idea what else to do or to try. I can't help but think I've exhausted every option I physically can and now I have no leg to stand on. It's just a waiting game that I have no control over. It's not in my hands anymore.

I watch the screen, internally begging the three dots to show up. They don't.

Defeatedly, I put my phone down on the bed side table, making sure I've not left it on silent. I flick the light off before I shuffle into the space where she would usually be but isn't. I try to steady my breathing and calm my mind down so I can get off to sleep.