Chapter Seventeen : Deep Dive

D E E P D I V E

Thomas

Wild brown waves of hair, freckled skin, pink lips slightly open. A wisp of vanilla scent settles between us. Baby hairs that stick up, golden when catching the warm rays of sun that seep in behind the curtains of her bedroom window.

Angelic. She looks like an angel.

As I shuffle around, she stirs, wrinkling up her little nose before she opens her eyes. She blinks dopily a few times before stretching out with a smile.

"Hi." I croak faintly. She sighs and then nestles her pretty face into the pillows.

She looks practically perfect in the morning. I skate the side of my thumb along the soft skin of her rosy cheek and she buzzes with a quiet, happy hum. She nudges her face up into my touch.

God. We are not just friends. No matter how much we say we are, we just aren't.

**

I let out a groan, twisting myself around in the third suit I've tried on this morning. I adjust the collar, bending down to get a better look at myself in the mirror. I loosen the tie, letting it hang either side of my neck. I hate weddings because at weddings people wear suits and they dance. Two things I don't particularly enjoy. Especially the dancing.

A pounding at the door sounds so I drop my tense shoulders, making my way through the apartment to answer it. I swing it open to see Violet outside, her face crimson red, her eyes sore and streaming with tears.

"Woah, Violet-."

"Is Isabelle here?" She cuts me off, desperately.

"No, she's ou-." She doesn't give me a single chance to finish.

She almost pushes me over with the force in which she hugs me with. I'm a little startled at first but I wrap my arms around her as she begins hysterically crying into me.

"I've just knocked on every single door up here to find your apartment." She wails and I try to hold back a laugh.

"Come in." I offer softly, moving back so she can enter.

"I've ruined your shirt." She points, wiping her face with the back of her other hand.

"That doesn't matter." I brush it off, shutting the door behind us and walking her through to the rest of the apartment. "What's happened?"

"Eva broke up with me." Her voice cracks with a cry as she begins to speak.

"What? Why?" I frown, totally confused.

"Because of her parents." She explains, dropping her arms down like a toddler having a tantrum.

"Okay. Let me get you a drink. You – sit down." I gesture to her and then the couch.

What the hell am I going to say to her now? I know absolutely nothing about relationships let alone a break up.

Returning to her, she's laying the whole way across the couch, staring up at the ceiling. I place her water on the coffee table, perching myself down on the other grey couch.

"Right. Start from the beginning." I instruct, letting her do most of the talking.

"We argued yesterday, like any other couple argue. It was... quite bad I guess but not worth breaking up over. She ignored all of my texts yesterday and when she got home she went straight into her room. I went out for a walk to clear my mind before I spoke to her but when I got back she was asleep."