Chapter Twenty Two : Mom's The Word

M O M' S   T H E  W O R D

Isabelle

It's 1pm already. I've laid in bed for the past thirty minutes, dreading to get up. When I woke, Thomas was already long gone, going to his class, the space next to me stone cold. I decide to get some pastries for breakfast because I can't be bothered to cook. It also means that Thomas can have some later. I don't feel great this morning, a little hungover. Thomas must not be feeling too bad as he's already kick started his day.

I think over our messy argument, the words of our conversation replaying in my head. I am glad we kind of worked it out but I want to glaze over everything just to make sure.

I lazily hang around the apartment until there's a knock at the door. I swing it open, revealing a woman with blonde highlighted hair, big blue eyes and bronzy tanned skin. I go to smile but she's not holding a delivery bag with my pastries in it.

She looks fantastic, in a black jacket and smart trousers. Everything she is wearing looks expensive, even the crisp notes of her citrusy perfume.

"Hi." I say with a pleasant tone. "How can I help you?"

"I'm Thomas' Mom. Sherri." Her voice is smooth and posh.

Oh shit. His Mom?

"Oh..." My jaw drops. "My god."

Crap. I didn't mean to say that bit out loud.

Today is not the day I was expecting to meet Thomas' Mom. I didn't think I'd meet her for a long time yet. I wouldn't say I'm prepared. I never once met Nate's parents so I've not been through this process before. Sherri tilts her head to the side, adjusting her designer handbag over her shoulder.

"I'm sorry. Come on in." I fumble.

"Thank you." She nods and I step aside, letting her in. I can see where Thomas and Amanda get their good looks from. Sherri is so beautiful it's intimidating.

Suddenly, I realize I haven't changed out of my hoodie and underwear yet. I subtly wipe my slick palms and clear my throat.

"Can you excuse me for a second. I should go and get dressed." She nods with a polite smile.

I scurry off into my room, throwing on a pair of jeans. I wriggle into a crop top so quickly I hear the material stretching as I fit my arms through the holes. I tie my hair up and come back out, rolling my shoulders out to try and relax.

"Would you like something to drink?" I propose, finding her again.

"A coffee would be nice." She answers, following me into the kitchen. I put the machine on and turn to where she's sitting herself on the edge of the stool at the island.

"Erm, so Thomas isn't actually here. He probably won't be back for another few hours." I explain, holding my arms behind my back while leaning against the counter.

"That's fine. I'm not here to see him. I'm here to see you." I seize up, frozen with a confused and surprised frown on my face. She almost laughs at the sight of me.

"Me?" I ask, pouring out her coffee and handing it to her.

"I sent Elliot over, mainly to encourage Thomas to come to his father's wedding but it seems you managed to do that already." She narrows her eyes, stirring the spoon around her coffee. "So... I also wanted him to meet the girl who's managed to changed my stubborn boy's mind and see what she's all about." Cautiously but intrigued, I lower into the seat across from her.

"His exact words were, you have to meet her." I wince with a light chuckle.

"I can't quite tell if that's a good review or not."