Chapter Thirty Four : Ghost

G H O S T

Isabelle

I stand outside the door, the same door I kicked a key underneath a few months ago. A few moments of hesitation pass but I quickly get over them and knock my knuckles, pulling myself to stand straight, my jaw clenched. I'm mentally prepared for whatever is coming.

It took longer than expected but I hear the locks and chains being undone before the door opens and Nate's body fills the frame. He tilts his head, staring me down as I grit my teeth.

"I knew you'd come back to me." Seeing him, it feels like I'm shrinking, losing inches off of my height with every second. I tighten the muscles in my body, the alcohol on his breath hot on my face as his blue eyes glare down at me.

"I'm not coming back." I say, repulsed.

"That's not what it looks like, Princess." His eyes leisurely travel up and down my body before they stab right into mine again. "So tell me, how's your boyfriend?"

"You tell me." I return rapidly, not being able to control what's coming over me. Months ago, I wouldn't have dared speak back to him. "You were the one who beat him up. Oh wait, that's right, I forgot." I put my finger to my chin. "You're too much of a coward to hurt anyone yourself. Not anyone that has a chance at defending themselves against you."

"Hmm." His faces twist, unimpressed.

"I am glad you asked though." I tilt my head. "He's in a coma and could potentially have brain damage for the rest of his life. Also, he isn't my boyfriend. I don't have one." I add.

"And I was supposed to know that?" He sounds angry, defensive.

"No." I almost laugh. "You're not. That's the point. You're not supposed to know anything about my life anymore. Especially not after I left."

"If that's the case, why are you here?" He sneers at me.

"To tell you to back the fuck off." I pronounce every syllable.

Just being able to say that to him makes me feel empowered. He takes a menacing step out towards her and I falter, all of that feeling washing away.

"Why don't I believe you then? Why are you really here?" He narrows his stormy eyes at me and then glances lower down my body. My throat tightens. "Show me your phone." My stomach backflips.

"What? No." Before I have chance to react, he's already grabbed hold of my arm, yanking me inside the apartment. Holding me in place, his other hand pats me down until he snatches my phone out my pocket, seeing that it's recording.

"You know..." He begins, gripping onto my face. "You always were a clever girl." I try my absolutely hardest to train my eyes away from him but he always angles my field of vision on him. "But not clever enough."

He lets me go by shoving my weight down so I thump to the ground. It gives him enough time to lock and bolt the door. He immediately ends the recording and starts smashing the phone up until it's nothing but shards of glass and plastic.

After his explosion, he pauses to let out a long, calmed breath. He shuts his eyes, stretching out on the counter before twisting his head to me.

"You know, I called you... so many times." With every word, his heavy footsteps get closer to where I'm still on the floor. "I texted too." He bends down, roughly taking my chin in between his fingers. "I was worried about you."

"You're not capable of that." I scoff, amused that he'd even be able to say that.

"I missed you." Now I let out a single laugh.