Chapter Thirty One : The Calm Before

T H E C A L M B E F O R E

Isabelle

Ouch. I wince as the sun forces it way through the shields of my eyelids. Blinking a few times, I adjust to the morning, or the afternoon – I can't quite tell. My body feels like its repulsed with my drinking habits last night and is punishing me today.

I lean myself up on my forearms, my joints sore. Letting out a yawn, I see Thomas who's already stood up next to the bed, getting changed. Worry filters through his face.

"Did I wake you?" He asks, fitting into a clean white shirt.

"I don't think so." I croak, my throat sore. If I'm honest, I don't really know what woke me.

"How are you feeling?" I let out a dry scoff.

"Like shit." I drop back into the pillows. I'd be staring at the ceiling if my eyes weren't sealed shut. It takes a lot of energy out of me to hold my arms out, summoning him back to bed. "Give me a cuddle."

The bed dips with his weight as he crawls up next to me. His large hand flips my body over onto my side and then he drags me into his hot chest. I wrap every part of myself possible around him, sinking into his comfortable warmth. We lay together for a few minutes, just enjoying each other's company.

We're disrupted when his phone starts buzzing on the bedside table. We untangle from each other and he reaches over to pick it up.

"It's Amanda." He goes to put it back down. "I'll call her back later."

"No. It might be important." I stop him. He accepts the call and puts it on the bed between us.

"Hey. I wanted to call to see if you'd be able to look after Rex for the afternoon and possibly for the night." Amanda's voice comes out from down the line. His eyes check with me and I smile.

"Yeah. That's fine." He answers.

"That's great because we're downstairs." Thomas and I let out a light chuckle at her.

"Of course you are." He says, picking the phone up to his ear. "Give us two minutes to get up and I'll come to the door." He ends the call and I let out an exhausted sigh. "Come on you." He takes both of my hands and encourages me to stand. Once I find my balance on the floor, he wraps me into a big bear hug.

I stay back to make myself as presentable as possible, covering up the dark circles under my eyes and adding a bit more color around my face so I look less tired. I change into sweats and leave the room going out to where Rex is happily clung to Thomas' legs. Amanda is looking as beautiful and stylish as ever, her long locks of hair pulled back into a high ponytail.

"Hi!" I greet her with a hug. She frowns a little at my husky voice. "Hungover." I quietly say and she gives me an understanding nod.

"Toast, juice and a shower usually does the trick for me. Pain relief if necessary." She lists and I smile gratefully, heading over to the fridge to get out the orange juice carton.

"Now as much as I love having you stop by, why are you here?" Thomas questions, sitting Rex down on his lap after perching on the stool.

"I'm seeing this guy I've been kind of dating. We've planned an afternoon but I don't know what's happening after that. Depends how charming he is, I guess." I let out a chuckle. "So you might have Rex for the night, if you guys don't mind."

"Not at all!" I ruffle his hair as I pass him.

"He doesn't sleep well if he's alone. He's an early bird so be prepared for that. I usually give him a bath before bed, I've got some books and toys with me as well." She gestures to a big bag she's placed on the floor behind her.