Chapter Twenty Five: I Do

i do

Thomas

I wake up at my 12oclock alarm and the first on my mind is food. My stomach is growling, starving hungry. Instantly, I order room service for breakfast. While I wait for that to arrive, I set out everything I need to get ready. I scoff down my eggs, bacon and bread before jumping into the shower. By the time I'm out and dry it's 12:45. I start changing into my white shirt and grey pants when there's a knock at the door.

"Are you ready yet?" As soon as I open it Mom busts through.

"Good morning to you too." I return. She's wearing a dark red dress that fronts across her shoulders, showing off her tanned, freckled skin of her collarbones. Her blonde highlighted hair has been straightened past her shoulders.

"Thomas, you are notorious for being late." She puts her hands on her hips. "Get your suit on so I can have a look." She orders. I do as I'm told, fitting myself into the grey jacket that matches my pants. I pull it around in the mirror, looking at myself.

"With or without a tie?" I grab it off the side, holding up at my collar. Mom screws her face up, thinking as I take it away and put it back again.

"Without." She nods. I spin around to face her and she adjusts my lapel. "All grown up." She sighs and then places her hand on my cheek.

"Are you okay?" She puts on a smile but the twinkle is missing from her eyes.

"Yeah." She replies confidently but even then I don't fully believe her. "Come on then."

I help Mom downstairs in her high heels until we get to the hall that's been decorated. Rows of white chairs fill up on two sides of the room. Golden fairy lights and fake green vines swinging across the ceiling. The alter has white mesh cloths hanging behind it, potted plants on the side. The place looks absolutely stunning despite it being packed with lots of people we don't know or don't like. Even though it's unspoken between us, we both steer clear of Casey's family.

"Oh. I got you a date today so you don't have to be alone during the party." Mom explains, patting my shoulder.

"Seriously?" I grumble. "Mom, why would you do that? I don't need a date."

"Darling, just meet her. She's really nice. You'll sit next to her during the meal and then you can have a few dances later on."

"I don't dance." I grumble. We stop beside the row where we're going to be sitting. "Where's Amanda?"

"She's on her way, I think." I observe the room, spotting Dad chatting to Pete who is his best friend. It will be the second time Pete's been my Dad's first man. Dad, in his smart black tux, looks over and notices myself and Mom. I watch him as he says something to Pete and he strides over.

"Sherri. Hi." He approaches us and she politely kisses his cheek.

"Hi darling. How are you?"

"I'm well. How are you?" Dad rubs his hands together.

"I'm doing great, thank you." She answers. This exchange is so unbelievably awkward you could cut the tension with a knife. A few uneasy eyes settle of the conversation from the other side of the hall.

"My boy. Don't you look all grown up." He turns to me with a grin.

"Right, that's what I said." He pats my shoulder and I give him a short smile.

"I need to go and check in with a few other people but I'm glad you could both make it." He goes to move away but he stops himself before turning back. "Sherri, you look wonderful." He adds.