Chapter Twenty Eight : Falling

F A L L I N G

Thomas

"I miss you more." I softly smile, swapping the phone over to my other ear.

"I don't think so." She returns. I shuffle myself into the end of my bed.

"Then I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree." I grin.

"What are you doing right now?"

"Nothing. I am just sat in my room. What-." At that very moment, Rex comes bustling in and launches himself at me which sends me back. He's letting out manic laughter, wriggling around and tickling his fingers at my sides.

"Sorry! I'm getting attacked by the tickle monster. Rex come here you-." I catch him, dropping my phone. I rapidly jab his sides and underneath his armpits. "I'll call you back later." She hangs up and I scoop Rex up, flying him around the room when Amanda comes steaming in. Her hair is tied up into a wavy ponytail, exposing her red ears.

"I just heard about your argument with Dad!" I lower down until Rex's feet meet the floor. "What the hell were you thinking?"

"It wasn't that bad?" I return casually.

"You had a shouting match about him being a cheat in front of everyone! It's embarrassing."

"I was angry. I acted out of anger." She folds her arms over her chest, glaring at me.

"It's not good enough Thomas! Do better. You're a grown ass man."

"And so is he!" I flicker with annoyance. "Where is his lecture? Let me guess, he hasn't had one." She scrunches up her mouth with no answer. "He called Isabelle a prostitute."

"What?" She questions, stunned.

"I'm assuming, but not surprised, that he left that part out of the story so it looks like I'm entirely to blame. I love you Amanda but don't be an idiot." A whimper splits through the room and I turn to see Rex who is stood in the corner with tears in his eyes.

"Hey buddy." I bundle him up, consoling him. "Nice job." I sneer to Amanda over Rex's shoulder.

"Shut up." She hisses before ducking down to see him. "I'm sorry muffin."

"I don't like it when you're loud." He weeps, wiping his damp cheeks.

"I know. Mommy shouldn't have shouted." She apologizes.

"Don't be upset Rex. It's alright." I rub my hand in circles on his back. I pull away, tilting his head up to me. "You know, I'm pretty sure the tickle monster was around here somewhere." His sad face begins to curl into a mischievous grin.

"I don't think he was." He whispers, trying not to let a smile break through his sadness.

"Really? I think so." I chuck him up, tickling him until he's practically screaming with laughter again. It takes a few moments for us calm back down and I glance over my shoulder at Amanda who's sat on my bed, looking sorry for herself.

"My bad Thomas." She cowers.

"Yeah well... it doesn't matter." She offers me a weak smile which I finally reciprocate.

**

Isabelle

I've dragged myself through yet another long day. My brain is constantly spurring on but is too exhausted to think at the same time.

"Is." Sam gently nudges into me, gesturing his head to the pen I've been rapidly tapping against the table for however long. I'm finding it hard to concentrate or think from the hours of bad sleep I've had when I've managed to get any at all.