Chapter Six : Dreamcatcher

D R E A M C A T C H E R

Isabelle

It's been days since Thomas flipped out. Days since we've properly spoken to each other.

Obviously we've exchanged the usual good mornings and the polite pleases and thank yous but that's been about it. It seems like he's avoiding me like the plague and I guess I'm avoiding him too.

He shocked me the other day. I didn't think he was that kind of guy. His temper almost reminded me of Nate's and how he used to be. It's made me a bit more wary of Thomas. I can't live with that again. I won't.

**

In class, I wait for Sam to arrive, greeting me with his cheeky grin as per usual.

"Guess what?" I quiz before he even has the chance to sit down.

"What?" He slumps in the chair beside me.

"I got a job!" I grin, excited that I can actually tell someone. "At Shortcuts, the hair salon."

"Oh sweet!" Sam replies with the same level of enthusiasm as mine. "That's so cool!" He unpacks his things to get ready for class. "How have things been?"

"They've been alright." I pause for a beat, deciding if I should be honest. "Actually, it's been a bit weird." The buzzing atmosphere suddenly decreases. He frowns. "Thomas hasn't been in the best mood recently. I don't know why. We haven't really spoken... at all."

"Hmm, yeah he seemed a little distracted when I saw him yesterday, like something is playing on his mind." I nod in agreement.

"Before – he was just being an ass and now he's being silent which somehow is... worse. It's way more awkward between us now." I get my things out and ready as the professor enters the room.

"I'll talk to him and see if I can get anything out of him." The professor begins talking. "I'm happy about your job though, well done." I smile, bumping shoulders with him.

**

My body surges forward, a series of loud, high pitched screams lurching out of my throat. My skin is hot and my body is shaking as I can't help but cough and splutter. My legs are frantically kicking against the sheets. I feel like I can't breathe.

It takes me a few seconds to realize where I am. Sitting up in the dark, I pant and swallow hard, letting out a short gasp.

The door handle rattles and Thomas's silhouette busts into my bedroom. The bright light from the hall seeps into my room, shining directly on where I am. I squint, throwing my hand up to shield eyes.

"What?" He turns on the lights of my room, also breathless. "What happened?"

"N-Nightmare." I explain in a shaky breath. I must've woken him up.

He's stood in front of my bed just in his Calvins, his hair a total mess. He appears to be just as startled as I am. I forget that sounds like that are capable of coming out of my body.

"I-I didn't mean to scare-."

"No, it's fine." He shakes his head with his hands out. I try to take a few long, steady breaths in and out again. "Are you okay?" I don't answer, I just rub my face against the palm of my hands. A quietness brews before he speaks again.

"Come on, let's get something to drink." He cocks his head back, gesturing to the kitchen.

When he can't see me, I frown at his instruction. But without question, I swing my legs out the side of the bed and carefully place them on the floor, preparing myself for not being able to stand. I'm still trembling from the mix of adrenaline and fear.