New Spells

14 November 1998
Hermione POV

"I'm going to Gryffindor tower," I call to Draco from the bedroom. "Have you got any plans?"

"I did but you just spoiled them," Draco sighs from the common room.

My eyes widen so head to the common room, "What did I do?"
I find him once again surrounded by books and papers. He's been experimenting with spells again.

He points and waves his wand, "Well I need to test out my apparition spell to make others apparate but I can't do it alone obviously so I was going to ask you if you wanted to go to the Black Lake with me."

"Why don't you ask Blaise?" I suggest.

"Because Blaise is not my wife and he is a nuisance," Draco retorts. "Please Mya, the numpties can survive without you if there is no imminent danger."

I sigh, "Ugh! Okay."

"Wear something warm, it's cold outside," Draco chimes. "It's whiter than my hair out there."

"Should I wear that coat your Mother gave me?" I ask. "The green Saponaria faux fur one?"

"Isn't that one like a nightgown?" he calls back.

"I know at least five heating charms," I retort.

"Ok!" he says.
I pull out my wand and whisper "Expecto Patronum" my otter materialises and I send it to the boys, cancelling our arrangement. Then I get ready and then Draco and I head to the Black Lake.

No one is there when we arrive, most probably all at Hogsmeade. "Too bad no one can admire your coat," Draco sighs.

"You just want to show off your new spell," I laugh. "So how does this work?"

Draco goes over to a tree and then casts a spell to zap off a branch. Then he lifts up the heavy branch and puts it ten feet away from me. He comes over to me then says, "I'm going to visualise the space in front of the branch then wave the wand in the normal apparition movements plus the others that I've calculated."

I nod, "And if I end up in a tree?"

"Then I've used the wrong movements," he shrugs. "I don't know if it's going to work first time round though."

"As long as I don't end up missing a limb I'm okay, Dray."
"Stop rhyming things with 'Dray'," he exclaims.
I laugh, "But it's cute!" I protest.
He crosses his arms, "It's not."

"Just shoot me with the spell already."

I watch him do the normal movements then point his wand at me and twirl it with a flick of his wrist. I feel myself apparate. Suddenly I can see Draco below me and I feel myself sitting on something cold.

"Mya! Where are you?!" Draco calls panicked.
"Up here!" I reply. "Told you I'll end up in a tree."

He turns around and sees me in the tree, "Stay there, I'll see if I can get you down."
I nod, he repeats the wand movements but widens the swirl. I apparate again but I'm still a distance from the branch.
"I'm supposed to be over there Dray!" I say pointing at the branch that is now 20 feet away from me.

"Hermione?!" I hear two familiar voices exclaim.

Harry and Ron.

"Afternoon Potter, Weaselbee," Draco announces cheerfully.
"Shut up Malfoy!" Ron exclaims.
"Hermione you ditched us to hang out with this flid?!" Harry exclaims.

Flid? Draco asks mentally.
Muggle slang for idiot, I explain.

"Well that's rather rude," Draco exclaims. "I was just about to apologise for preoccupying my wi... dormmate, causing her to cancel her plans in the name of new magic but I'm not going to now." It's not like Draco to slip up like that, he must be annoyed.

"Hermione, what are you doing here?" Ron asks. "And where did you get that coat?"
"It's my coat and I'm helping Malfoy with something," I shrug. "He's been working on it for well over a month now so I just had to help him."

"Hey stop making it out like I'm helpless, Granger!" Draco yells. "I'm just taking advantage of your bleeding Gryffindor heart!"

"At least she has a heart, Malfoy!" Harry snarls. "A firm one."

"Did you need anything, Harry?" I ask, changing the subject.
"We saw you leave the castle with Malfoy on the map so we came to check if you were okay."

That annoys me but before I can reply Draco yells "Potter if you keep spying on Granger with that map of yours, she's going to burn it."

"I can speak for myself Malfoy!" I say but then shrug. "What he said."

Draco laughs, suddenly I'm apparated in front of Harry and Ron, I act like it was intentional, "Heirloom or not Harry, you need to stop stalking me with it."

"How did you do that?" Ron stutters.

"It's none of your business," I say. "Now go back to the castle."
They scramble away and I run back to Draco once they're are out of hearing distance and hug him. "It worked!" I exclaim. "What did you do differently?"

His left arm wraps around my waist then he says "I did a zigzag rather than a swirl."

"Oh," I say. "Let's test it out a bit more."

"Can I just show you this one spell I invented?" he asks.

I sigh, "Go ahead."

Suddenly I'm apparated away from Draco then he exclaims "Ignis Verbarque!"
Then a long whip made out of fire seeps out of his wand. He holds his wand out in the air and starts spinning it and the whip is spun through the air like a lasso.

"Draco that looks dangerous!" I exclaim.
The fire disappears, "Of course it's dangerous, love, that's why I made it, there needs to be more weaponised spells. So people can defend themselves."

"Against what?" I ask as I jog back up to him.

"Against the dark."

He gets like this sometimes, anxiety that the Dark Lord or someone like him would rise again so he needs to prepare. I hug him to reassure him.

"The dark is gone now, love, it's not coming back for a while," I whisper.

"How do you know?" he whispers.
"Because we stopped Voldemort and that's still etched in peoples minds, the dark can't reach us when we're bursting with light."

I feel his arms wrap tightly around my waist.
"Promise?"
"Promise."