Suspicious Friends

"The teachers know by the way," I tell Draco, recalling my conversation with Slughorn. "McGonagall told them so it is easier to keep the secret from the students."

"Trust McGonagall to pull a Dumbledore," Draco chuckles shaking his head. "Always pulling strings in the background."

"I don't know what I'd do if Ron found out," I say, my hand going straight to ring. "He'd most probably try to kill you."
"Ah, Weasley can't kill me," Draco says moving behind and putting his arms around me. "I'm tinkering with the apparate spell, soon I'll be able to make other people apparate."

"You really have to stop meddling with spells," I tell him whilst leaning into his hold. "One day your gonna end up blowing up or burning your hair off."

"No don't worry," he chuckles hugging me tighter. "I stole a hard yellow hat from some construction muggles, my amazing hair will always be protected." Before I can scold him for stealing, my stomach rumbles. "Come on dear, let's get you back downstairs before Weasley eats all the food Potter saved you."

"Why is it you know my friends so well," I ask.

"Know thy enemy," he says. "I think Weaselette is outside by the way."

"Oh," I sigh as he lets go of me. "I'll go back to our room and get the textbook I need and you go get a headstart."

I nod then leave the room. Sure enough, Ginny's waiting for me. "Why didn't you go to the bathroom."

"I did," I laugh. "I have a bathroom in my dorm."

"Why is Malfoy's grandfather your dorm's portrait?" 

"Because Malfoy is a milksop," I reply. "Come on Gin, I'm famished."

We start going back to the Great Hall then Ginny says "Why did Malfoy go in after you did?"

"He saw the present," I shrug. "Which is this necklace by the way, and he wanted to make sure I burnt the wrapping because he didn't want to see it around the dorms." Not completely lying. "I forgot to actually. I got distracted by the present and telling him off for telling me what to do. He's most probably burning it now."

'Grandfather said you called me a milksop?' Draco's thoughts enter my mind. 'Talking about me behind my back, love?'

'In return,' I think in a sweet tone. 'You get to think about me all day long. Wondering what your dear wife is saying about you when you're not around.'

'I do that anyway darling,' he retorts. 'Go and eat, your hungry thoughts are distracting me.'

We finally get back to the Great Hall, the Patils and Lavender Brown start crowding me. "Is that the present?" Padma asks.

"It's so pretty!" Parvati squeals.

"Very Gryffindor," Lavender comments. "Did Ron give it?"

"Of course Ron got it," Padma says. "No one has more Gryffindor Pride than him."

My stomach rumbles again, "I'm sorry girls, I'm really hungry, I need to eat something."

I go over to Harry and he passes me some Tuna sandwiches, a bowl of fruit and discreetly passes me a Cadbury's chocolate flake. "I've got a stash of chocolate hidden in my dorm," he whispers. "Chocolate frogs just don't measure up to good old Cadbury's." I laugh and gratefully start eating.

"Where's Ron?" I ask.

"He's gone to hit something imagining it's the fan who sent you that necklace," he chuckles. "Malfoy is right, you should keep the fanmail away from the public."

"What is with you two and agreeing with Malfoy today?" I ask.

'It's because I'm so amazing,' Draco says. I spot him at the Slytherin table.

I roll my eyes, "Hey Malfoy, are you making friends with my friends?"

Harry gives me a shocked, disgusted look, Draco raises his eyebrows, "Oh Granger, I'd rather not. Raven and Redheads have lurgies."

"I'll make sure to spread them around the dorm then," I retort. 

"And then I'll hire a House-elf to scrub the place down," he smirks. "SPEW will be accused of hypocrisy if word gets out the Head-honcho had her dorm cleaned by a House-elf."
"You wouldn't dare!" I say in fake offence.

"If you're going to argue, don't do it from across the hall," Blaise Zabini sighs, he waves his wand then aims it at me and says "Viverra corpus!"

Suddenly, I'm pulled forward towards Draco and Blaise. "Blaise!" Draco exclaims. "What are you doing?"

"I got sick of you yelling in my ear," he complains. "Continue arguing by all means."

"Well you've gone and ruined the arguing mood now, Zabini," I point out then say quietly "Teach me the wand movements for that spell. It could be useful next time Harry runs away from me but god forbid you teach Lavender. Ron's life will be hell."

Blaise shudders, "It's a pointed circle and pull your elbow back as you pull the person to you."

I nod, "You Slytherin and inventing spells," I roll my eyes. "It's the ambition of magic folk I guess."

"It's not like you haven't meddled with your magic before," Draco retorts.

I remember the specialised obliviate spell I cast on my parents, I  see Draco remembers as well and is about to mutter an apology but I feel an arm pull me back. "You want to start a fight Zabini?" Harry asks threateningly. "Don't touch Hermione again."

"I didn't Potter," Blaise snarls.

'He shouldn't be touching you either,' Draco tells me mentally. 

I gently take my arm back, "It's alright Harry. I'm alright."

He leads me away. "Bloody Slytherins. Why didn't you hit him or something?"

"Not everything needs to end in violence Harry," I tell him. "Zabini was just sparing himself from Malfoy's yelling in his ear."

"Why are you defending him?" Harry asks accusingly. "Malfoy was close enough to hit you or something and Zabini was the reason for that."

"Malfoy is always close enough to hit me," I remind him. "We're the head students, we have to be near each a lot. He doesn't hurt me, we just exchange insults. It's a harmonious antagonistic way of life."

"What if he snaps?!" Harry asks anxiously as we near the Hall doors, "I don't want you to get hurt."

I hug him, "Don't worry Harry, I can take care of myself. I've punched him before you know, right on the nose."

'Stop hugging!' Draco cries mentally. 'You're getting Potter lurgies all over you."

I pull back from the hug, "Come on Harry, we've got muggle studies to ace." He smiles and I lead the way to class.